CLINTON STATEMENT: YELTSIN MEETING

 


Article 4423 of alt.politics.clinton:

Path: bilver!tous!peora!masscomp!usenet.coe.montana.edu!caen!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!news.acns.nwu.edu!uicvm.uic.edu!u45301

Organization: University of Illinois at Chicago

Date: Monday, 17 Aug 1992 22:35:42 CDT

From: Mary Jacobs <U45301@uicvm.uic.edu>

Message-ID: <92230.223542U45301@uicvm.uic.edu>

Newsgroups: alt.politics.clinton

Subject: CLINTON STATEMENT: YELTSIN MEETING

Lines: 92


SEND COMMENTS AND QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS INFORMATION TO THE

CLINTON/GORE CAMPAIGN AT 75300.3115@COMPUSERVE.COM

(This information is posted for public education purposes.  It does

not necessarily represent the views of The University.)

========================================================================

PRESS AVAILABILITY

GOVERNOR BILL CLINTON ON MEETING WITH BORIS YELTSIN

WASHINGTON, D.C.

JUNE 18, 1992


I just had a very good meeting with President Yeltsin in which we

reviewed his trip. I told him I thought his address to the

Congress yesterday was magnificent and I hoped that it would help

to make the case to pass the support package in Congress.


As you know, I have been a consistent and strong supporter of the

aid package. I think that he has made an incredible effort here

to reach out to the United States. The arms control agreement is

very, very good for this country and was embraced at some risk to

him and his country and I think that after he goes to Kansas

today and speaks to the American heartland and then leaves our

country, we should join ranks across party lines to pass this

package. It is very much in the interest of the United States to

do that.


I think this man represents a fundamental departure from anything

we have ever seen in Russia -- a spirit of real democracy, real

change, a real grass-roots commitment to market economics. And I

think we have a very great interest in seeing that that

experiment succeeds and becomes permanent and irreversible. I

don't think that is the case today and I think we need to support

the effort.


So, that is what we discussed. It was a very lively and energetic

discussion. There was, I can tell you, there was no discussion of

American domestic politics in any way. So, I felt good about it.


























                       QUESTION AND ANSWER

         GOVERNOR CLINTON ON MEETING WITH BORIS YELTSIN

                        WASHINGTON, D.C.

                          JUNE 18, 1992



HOW WOULD YOU ADDRESS THE DIFFERENCE FROM GEORGE BUSH'S

PROPOSAL?



Well, as you know, the foreign policy speech I gave in New York

several weeks ago recommended an aid package very much like the

one he proposed to the Congress. While President Yeltsin is here,

I think I should say that there is no substantial difference on

my support for the arms control agreement or my support for the

aid package.


There is only one aid package in the Congress now and I think we

should just all support it -- get it out there as quick we can.



DO YOU THINK THERE WAS A LINK TO AID AND THE LINK TOWARD THE

REFUGEES AND THE POW'S THAT PRESIDENT YELTSIN HAS RAISED HERE?


I do not because we have no reason to believe that he will not

proceed in complete good faith on that. We would not even know

about that issue had he not raised it. So, I agree with what

Senator McCain said yesterday after hearing President Yeltsin. I

think the package should proceed.


Thank you very much.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOTTOM LIVE script

Fawlty Towers script for "A Touch of Class"