BECAUSE I COULD NOT STOP FOR DEATH by Emily Dickinson

 Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)


BECAUSE I COULD NOT STOP FOR DEATH


Because I could not stop for Death -

He kindly stopped for me -

The Carriage held but just Ourselves -

And Immortality.


We slowly drove - He knew no haste

And I had put away

My labor and my leisure too,

For His Civility -


We passed the School, where Children strove

At Recess - in the Ring -

We passed the Fields of Gazing Grain -

We passed the Setting Sun -


Or rather - He passed Us -

The Dews drew quivering and chill -

For only Gossamer, my Gown -

My Tippet - only Tulle -


We paused before a House that seemed

A Swelling of the Ground -

The Roof was scarcely visible -

The Cornice - in the Ground -


Since then - 'tis Centuries - and yet

Feels shorter than the Day

I first surmised the Horses Heads

Were toward Eternity -

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOTTOM LIVE script

Fawlty Towers script for "A Touch of Class"