Msg#8400

Msg#8400   To:DIRK LESKO                                (Rcvd)
From:HOWARD KAPUSTEIN                           Date:03/01/89
Subject:(R)DELETED()                            Parent Msg#8192
So you're saying use part of the field header description? Which parts
are (relatively) safe? I presume the reserved bytes are used similarly to
those in the header, but would they be written back to disk? I'm not too
sure if I know exactly where you're talking about. Could you be a little
more specific?

Msg#8401   To:NEIL WEICHER                              (Rcvd)
From:ROB HANNAH                                 Date:03/01/89
Subject:(R)N_CHECKR()                           Parent Msg#8295
Yes, such a function would be useful.  If you had a generic routine that
wasn't aware of whether the record was locked and needed to operate
differently depending on that - if this record is already locked then
replace update_date with date() - that could be useful.

ROB

Msg#8402   To:LANE WHITE                                (Rcvd)
From:JOE BOOTH                                  Date:03/01/89
Subject:ACCOUNTING PACKAGES                     Parent Msg#8402
I have had some experience with the various accounting packages like
SBT and sourcemate, and will tell you my opinion.  Basically, I feel
they are too large (Pages of code) for a basic accounting package.  The
A/R module of SBT is several hundred pages long.  It is possible to
customize them, but be aware that you will have to look through a lot
of code to do so....

Steve's accounting package was co-developed by Steve and myself, so I
will offer some general comments on it, but feel free to view
them in whatever light you choose.

One of the primary goals of the package was e
eas

Msg#8406   To:JOE BOOTH                                 (Rcvd)
From:JOHN THORN                                 Date:03/01/89
Subject:(R)ACCOUNTING PACKAGES                  Parent Msg#8402
And I've heard war stories about the computer locking up when the stuff
is compiled due to the archaic coding methods used by SBT.  SBT is OK
if you want it slow and easy, but don't look to add alot onto it for
customizing 'cause it's a real pain.  SourceMate looks good - haven't
seen Steve's package.

Msg#8408   To:HOWARD KAPUSTEIN                          (Rcvd)
From:DIRK LESKO                                 Date:03/01/89
I guess what I am sayingis that there must be some portion of the header
that will not be overwritten. One idea is to create a dummy field so that
you can store whatever you want in the field name...That way when it is
read into memory, it won;t be changed. Of course that would add a byte to
each record. the trick is finding a few bytes in the header that do not
get modified when they are placed in memory. That will ensure that the
value you put there will stay the same.

dLESKO

Msg#8409   To:LANE WHITE                                (Rcvd)
From:RON LANDBERG                               Date:03/02/89
Subject:(R)SUBSET DATA                          Parent Msg#8387
If the subset you want to display is usually small ( say a few hundred
records at most) and the file is indexed as such that all the desired
records are together, then what I do is to use dbedit by copying the
matching records to a temporary file and accessing that file from dbedit.
 This works fine on a fast machine and as long as the number of records
won't be very great.  I use this tecnique often and my response time is
2-4 seconds for up to 350-400 matching records.

Msg#8410   To:CHRISTOPHER EDGAR                         (Rcvd)
From:RON LANDBERG                               Date:03/02/89
But what happens when the operator presses PgUp or PgDn or is at the top
most record which matches (but which is not the topmost record in the
file) and the operator presses the up arrow key?  These keys get
processed before the UDF is invoked.  I tried this approach and suddenly
the screen would be filled with blank lines - which were actually records
which didn't match and therefore were blanked out.  I gave up on this
approach and  switched to copying matching subsets to temporary files.

( Oh I didn't mean the up arrow key above.  I meant if the operator
pressed control PgUp or control PgDn).

Msg#8414   To:LARRY GOTTLIEB                            (Rcvd)
From:GEFF PURCELL                               Date:03/02/89
Subject:(R)MAX LEVELS OF FUNC CAL               Parent Msg#8355
There is no built-in limit to the number of recursive calls you can do.
I have programmed using TrueWindows and I discovered what you did:  that
window programming is inherently recursive.
The secret, if you have problems, is to expand the stack.  The default
stack size with Clipper is 2K.  This will let you recurse about 20 times,
or so (you've been lucky so far).  You can expand the stack up to about
32K with no problem.  (All of the stack must fit into DGROUP or the
linker will complain.)  To expand the stack with MS Link, use the option
/STACK:nnnnn where nnnnn is decimal bytes.  with PLink86 use STACK nnnn
(darn, I can't remember if this one is decimal or hex  Unfortunately,
TLink doesn't support changing the default stack size.
When the stack overflows, the symptoms are:  color settings and other
internal Clipper variables get trashed resulting in trashed screens.
(Once, the @ rr,cc TO rr,cc command gave me a garbage border.); garbage
in memvars; then usually a lockup or critical error of some kind.
The first time this happenned, by the way, I called Nantucket, and they
actually DID get back to me with this answer, although I had already
dicovered it myself by then.
- J. David Reynolds (& Geff Purcell)

Msg#8415   To:RON LANDBERG                              (Rcvd)
From:CHRISTOPHER EDGAR                          Date:03/02/89
Ron,
Yes, you do have blank lines when you hit top/bottom file keys, but the
file I was using was not very big (500) records ( I should have mentioned
that) and I took care of that by either stuffing the keyboard or SEEKing
to the "filtered" key field.  Kind of awkard, I know, but supposedly the
next version of Clipper will be able to handle "subsets" of data as if
they were in a seperate file without having to write patches or copy out
records.  I plan on asking Phil Usher about it when he does his east
coast tour of User groups in a couple of weeks.

--Christopher

Msg#8416   To:DIRK LESKO                                (Rcvd)
From:HOWARD KAPUSTEIN                           Date:03/02/89
I agree with you entirely. It's applying the idea that gives me a
headache. I'll look into it. My TC routines to access .dbf files are
coming along, so whiu¹ÉDÖ Þ Zöit I think I'll do a bit of testing. I can
get at dBASE III+, Clipper, R&R (which shouldn't write, but we all know
howabused that word is...) and an old Foxbase. I was wondering about some
of the other programs that use .dbfs, like programs that export to dBASE
files, dBXL, Foxbase+, dBx, etc. I'd think that most (esp. the ones that
just export) wouldn't mess with the reserved bytes, just write zeros, I
was just wondering if anyone knew of any program that actually does, not
necessarily bad, but uncommon things (unnatural?) to dbase headers...

Msg#8418   To:ALL
From:RON LANDBERG                               Date:03/02/89
Subject:NEED A CLIPPER JOB
To all of you who work in the San Francisco Bay Area:

I am in need of work.  I have been programming full time in CLIPPER
since Winter,85.  I have written mainly order and invoice tracking
systems; I also wrote a ledger system for capital assets.

My prior experience was with the old APPLE II's on which I wrote a
complete small business system over several years for a non-profit food
distribution service.

I consider my strong point to be a sensitiviy to the ease of use of the
operator interface.  I have always put much attention to this point.

Most of the work I have done the past four years has been for Pacific
Bell.  Suddenly, in the midst of the current project, they have decided
to be "penny wise,pound foolish" and abandon the project.  Thus, I am
caught unaware suddenly with the need to find new work.

I have been working as a contractor but am willing to take an "in-house"
job, team job, maintenance of existing systems, in fact, most anything
that will pay well and make use of my talents.

I can be reached just about anytime at [415] 682-3226.  This is my home
number, so feel free to call anytime, day or night.

I am also willing to relocate (if to the Ft. Bragg area, I would con-
sider short term project(s); if to another location, the prospect
would have to be for a long-term project).

Thank you.

- Ron Landberg

Msg#8420   To:JOHN THORN                                (Rcvd)
From:STEVE STRALEY                              Date:03/03/89
Subject:(R)CLIPPER 89 DEV CONFERE               Parent Msg#8293
As I understand it, the intent was not to shun the east coast; rather, to
give the best possible conference ever.  One that would make even the
most professional seminar people jealous.  As I understand it, the only
way something like that can be achieved would be to have the conference
located as close to the corporate office as possible.  This will avoid
any confusions and rough edges that may happen.  As a traveling seminar
speaker, I can testify that the closer the company which is conducting
the seminar is to the seminar site, the fewer the hassels and headaches.
And believe me, I have had far too many with the Clipper Seminar Series.

It is NOT the intent, again.. as I understand it, to ignore the east
coast.  I think that they, being Nantucket, would support any and all
collected efforts we may have.  However, I must say that no ONE group
should play host to such a thing: no one organization should try to out
play another.  Therefore, an independent seminar committee may be formed
and from there, the birth of an east-coast conference may begin.

Take care,

Steve

Msg#8421   To:WALT BORYS                                (Rcvd)
From:STEVE STRALEY                              Date:03/03/89
Subject:(R)NEW KID IN TOWN AGAIN                Parent Msg#7954
Yes, my libraries, newsletter, and seminar series all deals with this
problem.  Again, you may want to call Four Seasons and ask which issue I
talked about that in.  They would be more than happy to help.  Again,
glad you're liking the book and hope to hear from you soonest...

Steve

Msg#8422   To:CONSTANTIN FLORESCU                       (Rcvd)
From:STEVE STRALEY                              Date:03/03/89
Subject:(R)BBS LIST                             Parent Msg#8335
Thanks Constantin... I'd also add the Database BBS (201-943-5419) which
is, as you know, my favorite hang-out sport.  But you are right on about
the BOSS...

Steve

Msg#8424   To:DIRK LESKO                                (Rcvd)
From:MENACHEM BAZIAN                            Date:03/03/89
Subject:(R)HELP                                 Parent Msg#8186
Any idea when the new verion of Clipper will be coming out?? And, if so,
got any poop on some of the planned enhancements??

Menachem

Msg#8425   To:GEFF PURCELL                              (Rcvd)
From:LARRY GOTTLIEB                             Date:03/03/89
Thanks!  This is exactly the type of answer I hoped to get.  Will
implement it right away.

Msg#8427   To:ANDREW VIOLA                              (Rcvd)
From:MENACHEM BAZIAN                            Date:03/03/89
Subject:(R)UI VER 2                             Parent Msg#8317
Andrew,

Yes it does and thank you very much. I AM a motivated programmer (I wrote
one hell of an Add/Edit/Delete with valid and lookup for UI1. I am
looking forward to UI2.

Menachem

Msg#8428   To:DIRK LESKO                                (Rcvd)
From:MENACHEM BAZIAN                            Date:03/03/89
Subject:CLIPPER S'87 BUG???                     Parent Msg#8428
Dirk,

I have a little problem in a clipper application.

I have an application (called the Working Trial Balance [WTB]) which I
have just upgraded to Version 3. In the process of upgrading tp Version 3
I have had to change some data file structure and, therefore, had to
provide a conversion utility between Version 2 and 3.

I have changed one field (journal entry number [Jenum]) from a numeric to
a character field. The basic structure of the conversion program is as
follows:

Use Newjefile
Append from Oldjefile

Here's the problem. I am getting a "Data Type Mismatch" error with
clipper but when I do it in DB3p it works just fine...

Is this a clipper incompatibility with dbase or a bug or something else??

Menachem

Msg#8429   To:HOWARD KAPUSTEIN                          (Rcvd)
From:DIRK LESKO                                 Date:03/03/89
I am uploading a Clipper function written with FUNCky that creates DBF
files AND creates indexes at the some time on the fly....It uses FUNCky
so you need that to compile. But it creates the dBASE header. It will be
in the FUNCky Forum section of the board....

dLESKO

Msg#8431   To:STEVE STRALEY                             (Rcvd)
From:DIRK LESKO                                 Date:03/03/89
Steve, you want to metion the Database BBS to Mark so he cann put it into
his list for DBA....

dLESKO

Msg#8432   To:MENACHEM BAZIAN                           (Rcvd)
From:DIRK LESKO                                 Date:03/03/89
1990 (1st Quarter....maybe) or in 2 weeks....take your pick.

Msg#8433   To:MENACHEM BAZIAN                           (Rcvd)
From:DIRK LESKO                                 Date:03/03/89
Subject:(R)CLIPPER S'87 BUG???                  Parent Msg#8428
Well, it seems like it would be an incompatibility between Clipper and
dB3. I guess you are doing an append from to transfer the data. My
suggestion would be to create a do while loop and append the records
manually. Or if you are adventurous, and the changed field is EXACTLY the
same size, and you have not mucked around with decimal points, you can go
in with fopen() and fwrite() and change the header definition from An 'N'
to a 'C'. It is very easy. It should be located at:

        (N*12)+32    && where N = the field NUMBER.

If it is the third field defined in the structure, then the field type
specifier should be at (3*12)+32 = 68. So do an fseek(Han,68) and then an
fwrite(Han,"C") to change the field type. this should work with no
problem, and it will be gloriously fast.....

dLESKO

Msg#8436   To:RON LANDBERG                              (Rcvd)
From:LANE WHITE                                 Date:03/03/89
Subject:SUBSETS DATA RT 6 E                     Parent Msg#8436
Thanx Ron,
        There seems to be many ways to accomplish this. I wonder about
Set Relation Does that ack like Set filterM
¸Æ21hÀDX ª³Ý/`b% ":}Ó or does it just set you at the first reco?
Clipper should put something in the compiler to support this, what about
relat Sorry about the garbage.
                Lane...

Msg#8437   To:CHRISTOPHER EDGAR                         (Rcvd)
From:LANE WHITE                                 Date:03/03/89
Subject:SUBSETS DATA                            Parent Msg#8437
Thanx Chris,
        What about using color monitors? I guess will still work but I
use many windows with different colors. Nantucket should help with this
in the next version. I hope....
                Lane..

Msg#8440   To:RON CALLAHAN                              (Rcvd)
From:NOEL MANZANILLA                            Date:03/03/89
Subject:(R)CORRUPTED RECORDS                    Parent Msg#8178
no, corruption seems to be occurring during a copy to <one record only !>
and append process.
noel

Msg#8441   To:GEFF PURCELL                              (Rcvd)
From:NOEL MANZANILLA                            Date:03/03/89
thanks . i did check and i have the current libs
noel

Msg#8442   To:LANE WHITE                                (Rcvd)
From:CHRISTOPHER EDGAR                          Date:03/03/89
Subject:(R)SUBSETS DATA                         Parent Msg#8437
I don't understand what you're asking about color monitors, Lane, but
what I was trying to say about changing colors was to set the foreground
and background to the same color ( N/N or B/B...etc.) is that what you
meant?

Msg#8443   To:FRANCOIS DESROSIERS
From:JEFF SPRINGER                              Date:03/03/89
Subject:(R)MEMO FIELD
You might want to use Clipper
low level file logic to search for beginning and ending code. Store both
values (i.e., the number returned by FSEEK() in your user defined 'search
for the code' function) in variables. It should be relatively simply from
there to extract the section you want. I hope this is some help.

Msg#8447   To:LANE WHITE                                (Rcvd)
From:RON LANDBERG                               Date:03/04/89
Subject:(R)SUBSETS DATA RT 6 E                  Parent Msg#8436
Not quite sure what SET RELATION has to do with processing a subset of
records with DBEDIT.  If you mean that part of your DBEDIT fields
defintion is from a child file, then, of course, the pointer in the
related file will be at the first record which matches the field from the
parent file, not necessarily the first record in the child file.

But SET RELATION doesn't get you anywhere in trying to DBEDIT a subset of
records in one file.

You might look at Issue 5 of From D.O.S.S. by Steve Straley.  He suggests
three or four ways to deal with the problem.  Like I said, if the subset
can be counted on to be limited to a few hundred records at most and you
have fairly fast hardware, copying the subset (from an indexed file) to a
temporary file works ok.

I would like to see Nantucket allow a parameter to be passed which
somwehow let me define the subset to be displayed.  That would be ideal.
But since it doesn't exist, you realy have to "create" the subset
yourself, either by copying out to a temporary file or by some mechanism
of blanking out those records in the main file which don't match your
criteria.  The problem with the latter approach is that keystrokes like
control PgDn get processed before reaching the UDF so you can find
yourself with a blank screen showing.

Steve's suggestions in issue five include partial and conditional
indexing which creates the subset for you.  Check it out.

Msg#8449   To:LANE WHITE                                (Rcvd)
From:STEVE STRALEY                              Date:03/04/89
Subject:(R)ACCOUNTING
Lan, I wanted to personally step in here and thank you for the support.
We are getting it together everyday.  Right now we are taking bids for
someone to do the documentation.  If anyone knows of anyone, please let
me know.  Thanks... it'll be here.

Steve

Msg#8454   To:DIRK LESKO                                (Rcvd)
From:HOWARD KAPUSTEIN                           Date:03/04/89
OK, I'll take a look at it. Thanks...

Msg#8458   To:ALL
From:RAY HUFF                                   Date:03/04/89
Subject:SAVING SCREENS TO DISK                  Parent Msg#8458
HOW DO I SAVE CLIPPER SCREENS TO DISK
THOUGHT ABOUT SAVING TO A VARIABLE THEN TO DATA BASE
ANY HELP APPRECIATED.

Msg#8459   To:STEVE STRALEY                             (Rcvd)