Cabinetry online chat

 Subject:  CCB0226

Author:  ElseNew

Uploaded By:  AW JimC

Date:  3/7/1996


File:  CCB0226.LOG (13579 bytes) 

Estimated Download Time (59416 baud):  < 1 minute

Download Count:  135






<<Tonight's chat speaks of wood joints dowels, mortise and tenon, cope and stick, and biscits. Among other things discussed was favorite woods, and how to minimize chipping on the table saw.>>


READING LOGS

Most logs can be read using AOL software by double-clicking on the filename after downloading to your hard drive. Logs longer than 32K will need to be read in a text editor or word processing program.

GENERAL LOG INFORMATION

The filename should contain a code that tells you the subject and date of this log.

LOG FILENAME CONVENTIONS

Some early logs were recorded before the filename system was devised, and have non-standard (and sometimes cryptic) filenames. But generally, logs currently are coded according to the following formula:

Example: CWF0528.LOG

The "C" stands for "chat"

The "WF" stands for "wood finishing"

and the 0528 is the month and date (May 28, 1995)

The extension ".LOG" means this file is a log of a live meeting.

We are using the following two-letter abbreviations for subjects:

WF wood finishing

WT woodturning

WW women in woodworking

RR refinishing and repair

SG special guest

SS Shopsmith owners' forum

WC woodcarving

FR furniture refinishing

CB cabinets & built-ins


Our logs are grouped in separate libraries so AOL members don't have to search extensive lists to find what they want. Each log is found in only one library.

Read the file description for LOGS and LIBRARIES at the top of this library

for more information.


Tonights chat speaks of wood joints dowels, mortise and tenon, cope and

stick, and biscits. Among other things discussed was favorite woods, and how

to minimize chipping on the table saw


ElseNew: Evnin all

GJohns421: hi else

FredD17209: hi ELSE

ElseNew: What's doing?

FredD17209: just got here

JUpton: what's your favorite wood for cabinets and why?

Mr DIYer: anyone know of a set of plans for a simple easy to make jewelry box

that i can get my hands on.

GJohns421: excuse me gentlemen and ladies, i must sign off

Mr DIYer: preferably one close to something shaker style

ElseNew: JU I like maple and cherry, and mahogany and...

ElseNew: Mr I would check The Woodworker's Journal

JUpton: I used oak and found it to bee too "brittle"

ElseNew: Night GJ

FredD17209: ash because it lends itself to many different colors and finish's

ElseNew: In what sense JU

JUpton: is ash easier to work than oak?

Mr DIYer: Else   is that on-line or a magazine subscription?

ElseNew: About the same JU

ElseNew: Subscription

JUpton: brittle in that it tended to chip on crosscuts

FredD17209: some what plus it sand downs soomther

Mr DIYer: I assume i can find it on most news stands?

ElseNew: What kind of blade are u using?

ElseNew: I think so DIY

JUpton: maybe too cheap a blade (just a hobby for me)

ElseNew: Oak does tend to split out on cross cutting

JUpton: how can I minimize splitting?

FredD17209: especially the bottom of veneer stock

ElseNew: Use a fine blade intended for this purpose-50-60 teeth atb

FredD17209: use a insert in tablesaw that fits closely to the blade

ElseNew: Fine blade, ATB, fresh throat plate, slow feed JU

FredD17209: that's it

JUpton: thanks!

GLadassor: Ju and also take the blade to a GOOD Sharpener and have it side

dressed and check the run out

GLadassor: on your saw

FredD17209: hi HH

ElseNew: Hello Dal, Hh, BKM

Hhundley: hi fred

Dalmfan: Hi all!

Hhundley: hi elsenew

ElseNew: Does anyone here use dowel joints?

BKMUSWOM: hi everybody

FredD17209: biscuits here

ElseNew: What's up BK?

GLZRN: Hello everyone

JUpton: love dowels

ElseNew: What about for doors Fred?

GLZRN: Biscuits and dowells

FredD17209: ho GLZRN

Aerial42: Hi everybody!

Mr DIYer: no but am about to under take a project using biscuts.

GLadassor: biscuits

GLZRN: hi fred

FredD17209: epsecially doors

GLZRN: can't go wrong with biscuits

ElseNew: Biscuits are not sufficiently strong for doors

Mr DIYer: Fred when making doors ...use biscuits or dowels?

FredD17209: cab doors?

ElseNew: The best joints for cabinet doors are cope and stick, mortise and

tenon, and dowels

Aerial42: Anyone know a good woodworker supply store in or near Baltimore?

please

JMoore6367: what about bisquit joining in terms of a basic frameless book

case?

GLZRN: what's the smallest hp router you can use to make raised panels in

oak?

ElseNew: Why not use mail order Ae

ElseNew: Biscuits are fine for the casework JM

FredD17209: there plenty of research that shows biscuits to be a superior

joint to dowels

ElseNew: Fred your dreaming

Aerial42: Have used catalogues need stuff fast sometimes

ElseNew: Sorry can't help Ae

FredD17209: not really catch up on your reading

GLadassor: what size cutter are you using gl

GLZRN: A42 come to Minneapolis  there's 4 or five here

Aerial42: Thanx anyway ELSENEW

ElseNew: Fred  how many types of joints have you tested?

GLZRN: not sure yet, I know I have 32 doors I need to make or have made

Aerial42: Can u E-mail me supplies GLZRN  if I need theM????

GLadassor: Ive used a 2 hp but with 2 passes

FredD17209: Iv'e use all the old standards and switched to biscuit because of

the additional glue surfac

GLZRN: sure!

FredD17209: e and assembly speed

GLadassor: like my 3 1/4 for job site work

GLadassor: hp that is

GLZRN: My porter cable is only 1 1/2 horse

ElseNew: Fred get out your calculator. Biscuits don't have the glue area of

mortise and tenon or dowe

ElseNew: ls

Aerial42: All Right that settles it YOU'RE my supplier!!!! What's your

commision %?

GLZRN: 0% we got to stick together

GLadassor: good sharp bit and watch the end grain try clamping another pc of

wood to the work so it wont tear out

GLadassor: it will work just slower

FredD17209: dowels rely solely on glue whereas a biscuit has a mechanial as

well as a glue bond

GLZRN: Am I asking for trouble sure would hate to have to buy a new router

when there's so much

GLZRN: more I need

Aerial42: Need to pick your brain a little more!

ElseNew: Fred believe what you want. The entire commercial cabinet industry

uses the three joints

ElseNew: I mentioned

GLadassor: I am a power person so it would be a biased answer

ElseNew: No one I know uses biscuits commercially

Reyd134: GL for 32 doors buy the 3 1/4

FredD17209: along with particle board and plastic and other forms of

shortcuts

ElseNew: They are good static joints- For dynamic loading they fail long

before dowels

GLZRN: Maybe I can talk my wife into a new more powerful model for my

birthday

GLadassor: I agree Makita makes one that is affordable

Aerial42: Where can I find addresses of good catalogues co.'s / on AOL or

your personal opinion? pleas

GLZRN: But will it last like my PC

GLadassor: yes

FredD17209: commercial stock cabinet leave a lot to be desired and for that

reason I get a lot of custom

FredD17209: work

Reyd134: no way !!

GLZRN: Didn't think so!!!

GLadassor: I have had mine for 8 yrs now and it is a workhorse

Reyd134: sometimes older is better

GLZRN: Don't I know it

MC Gervase: hello all

FredD17209: hi MC

Aerial42: GLZRN can you read my last message please?

GLZRN: My table saw was built in 48

ElseNew: ello MC

Hhundley: hi geisy

GEISY: hi there

GLZRN: You need mail order addresses?

JORDAN928: gl did you inherit it or buy it

Aerial42: YES PLEASE IF U GOT 'EM I NEED 'EM!!!!!!!

Hhundley: hi bb

Arrcon1: any one here own a WoodMaster planer/molder

GLZRN: Inherit along with a 48 Monkey ward lathe and 34 Delta 3 in joiner

ElseNew: Do you have any trouble with parts GL?

Reyd134: else have you tried the eurobutts yet

GLZRN: You could say that

Hhundley: Fred, you see plywood, sheet goods article in FWW

ElseNew: Eurobutts? I thought I saw some strolling down the street the other

day

FredD17209: yes HH

FredD17209: pretty thin huh?

GLZRN: A42 Woodworker's Supply   One  Woodworker' s Way Seabrook,NH 03874

Hhundley: Yes, leaves little room for error, wonder if old stuff will still

be here

GLZRN: They've got a little bit of everything and once your on there list

you'll get more from

GLZRN: other supply stores

FredD17209: like the guy said put away your power sander

GLZRN: A42 toll free number is 1-800-645-9292

RSG96: Hello ElseNew...what are we discussing tonight?

Hhundley: It is good they are trying to standardize industry, hope they don't

engineer to weakness

ElseNew: We have been addressing different types of joints RSG

Aerial42: Thanx alot 4 your help GLZRN !!!

GLZRN: No problem, good luck

FredD17209: as usual the US is behind  europe

Mnmarn: Hello. Are we discussing joinery?

RSG96: OK..for cabinet carcasses, do I need to dado and rabbett or can I use

biscuits?

ElseNew: Yes MN among other thins

Hhundley: hi mnmarn

JORDAN928: is that a euro butt joke

ElseNew: Either RSG I prefer rabbett and dado

FredD17209: hi everbody

Aerial42: See ya all later

ElseNew: Biscuits are fine for casework though

Hhundley: bye aerial

GLZRN: See ya later A42

FredD17209: nite aerial

ElseNew: Night Ae

RSG96: That's what I've used in the past, but I wonder if biscuits would be

faster

GLZRN: I've used biscuits on mine in the kitchen and they work great

ElseNew: I find it about the same RSG but I do rabbett and dado all the time

Mnmarn: Biscuits are good because they're faster, hold well and are

self-alligning

FredD17209: couln'thave it better myself MN

RSG96: My stack dado cutter leaves much to be desired...are you using a

router ElseNew?

ElseNew: What do you use for face frames Fred?

FredD17209: wood

GLZRN: Nice thing about biscuits is you can line up angles easily in face

frames

ElseNew: The same RSG

ElseNew: What size frame members do you use GL?

RSG96: I bought a cheap Kreg pocket hole jig...use it for face frames.

JORDAN928: what type of biscute cutters would you guys sugest to buy

ElseNew: Pocket hole is very good for face frames if properly done

FredD17209: I got a ryobi when FWW listed as best buy a few years ago works

fine

ElseNew: So what kind of joint do you use for face frames Fred?

GLZRN: I like my Dewalt, haven't had any problems with it

RSG96: Let's talk about clamps.  Any recommendations on number or types of

clamps for kitchen cabs

Hhundley: JOR Lamello if you have deep pockets, I have dewalt works fine

ElseNew: The more clamps the better RSG

FredD17209: biscuit unless I have a stressed jiont like under a microwave

then I use long screws

GLZRN: Depends on the cabinet I've used as many as 26 all sizes and shapes

ElseNew: How wide are your frame members Fred?

JORDAN928: have herd lamello is about the most exspesive is that true

RSG96: I bought a JENREY biscuit cutter from LOWE'S for $60.works

great.doesn't have dewalt feature

GLZRN: So they tell me

ElseNew: Yes Jor I have a Lamello Top about 750

FredD17209: stiles 21/2 rails from 5' down to 11/2

Hhundley: JOR the most

FredD17209: 5;"

ElseNew: 5" sounds a bit wide Fred. For a fellow who talks about short cuts

you make joints 1 1/2"

Erbie Moak: Sorry to come in late. I'll listen for a while to catch up.

ElseNew: wide with your biscuit hole at least 2"

JORDAN928: tomutch for my budget

ElseNew: Blowing the joint through the stock is poor work at best

FredD17209: bottom rail on uppers are nearly always 11/2

ElseNew: Join right in  Erbie

FredD17209: and are plugged screws

ElseNew: I am your host Paul Levine tonight is cabinet chat

Arrcon1: hello paul

ElseNew: Hello Arr

GLZRN: Elsenew do you work for AW?

Erbie Moak: Hi Paul. Thanks for hosting.

ElseNew: No GL I write articles for them, and one of my books was published

by Rodale

RSG96: Hi Paul, I'm Bob in Dublin, Ohio...just a hobbiest...watch your videos

and read your books..

RSG96: lot's of help and good ideas for us beginners....Thanks..

ElseNew: Thank you Bob

Jordet1: hi, i just got here, whats going on?

Erbie Moak: Gotta go. Bye.

ElseNew: By Erb

ElseNew: Hello Jordet

Jordet1: hi els

Hhundley: hi jordet

Jordet1: Where is everyone from, North Dakota here

Arrcon1: ElseNew, looking for info on doing curved raised panel work

GLZRN: ElseNew you asked if I have problems getting parts earlier and ideas

on where to go to

FredD17209: ca.here

Hhundley: hi salg

ElseNew: Verrrrrrrry difficult Arr

GLZRN: get some replacements

Hhundley: Ky

RSG96: Anybody using a Joint-a-Billi matched edge jointer in place of a

jointer?

GLZRN: Minneapolis

GLZRN: Jordet1 where in ND

ElseNew: Check in with your local barrelmaker Arr

Jordet1: the Twin Cities! cool!

Jordet1: Horace, SW of Fargo

ElseNew: Seriously raised curved Arr

GLZRN: ND native myself, Ray up by Williston

Arrcon1: ElseNew HA HA  ,  YES

Jordet1: Are you watching E.R.

Jordet1: we are

ElseNew: Try Circular Work In Carpentry and Joinery - Linden Publishing

Jordet1: glzrn-ever been to the woodworkers store in the south part, by Apple

Valley?

RSG96: I thought ER was on Friday night's ....Chicago Hope maybe?

JORDAN928: Hhundley thanks agen for the info. need to go and do soom work

good nite to all

ElseNew: Night Jordan

Jordet1: Your right, that was my goofy son!

Hhundley: nite jord

FredD17209: nitre jordan

GLZRN: No but there's one in Minnetonka

GLZRN: Nite Jordan

Jordet1: Actually ER is on Thursdays and we watch that one too

GLZRN: I like the Woodcrafter's store in Bloomington the best, more tools

less hardware

RSG96: Jordet1, let's discuss woodworking...what's your interests?

Arrcon1: ElseNew  CUSTOM House 7,500 sqr. ft. all oak trim

Jordet1: I like to tinker, got a shop in my basement

Hhundley: Hi oly, slash

Oly Wolf: Hi H what new on the internet?

RSG96: So do I...can tinker for hours...consume lot's of cash!

ElseNew: That's a lot of work there Arr

Reyd134: Ar conetoga wood specialties Pa. all doors

Jordet1: I've been trying to add to my tool assortment for quite some time.

lots o cash too ya know

ElseNew: No Reyd. Mostly doors

ElseNew: They make casework also

Reyd134: soory

FredD17209: tools are a good investment

Jordet1: yeh, its hard to do a good job without them

RSG96: I've seen you on here alot FredD...are you with AW?

FredD17209: on the other hand you can make mistakes faster

GLZRN: Just went through tool catalogue and added up dream shop $10,000 and

that's no frills

FredD17209: no

Arrcon1: Else  House is in the Hamptons N.Y.

FredD17209: no RSG

ElseNew: Good luck Arr

Jordet1: $10,000 would do nicely!

GLZRN: But then I need a building to put it all in

Jordet1: More Power with an Additional 10 g's

RSG96: I can't afford to dream that big GLZRN...at least until the kids are

through college!

Jordet1: shop space is always a concern, buy more tools, try find more space?

Hhundley: Hi JN

JNjokuobij: hi HH

GLZRN: Make em pay there own way it builds character, and you could be

building more stuff

ElseNew: Goodnight all. See you next Monday for cabinet chat

Jordet1: Anyone have a good dust collection system?

FredD17209: I tell apprentice carpenters to buy a tool every payday

Jordet1: Home made maybe?

Hhundley: nite paul

FredD17209: nite AW

Arrcon1: Else thanks



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOTTOM LIVE script

Fawlty Towers script for "A Touch of Class"