Aesop Fable information part 9

9|The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse|FORE=15|BACK=4|MARG=5|SCFX=9


                The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse^14


A Country Mouse invited a Town Mouse, an intimate friend, to pay him  a
visit  and  partake  of  his  country  fare.   As they were on the bare
plowlands,  eating  there  wheat-stocks  and  roots  pulled up from the
hedgerow, the Town Mouse  said to his friend,  "You live here the  life
of the ants, while in my house is the horn of plenty.  I am  surrounded
by every luxury,  and if you  will come with  me, as I  wish you would,
you shall have an ample share  of my dainties."  The Country  Mouse was
easily  persuaded,  and  returned  to  town  with  his  friend.  On his
arrival, the Town Mouse placed  before him bread, barley, beans,  dried
figs,  honey,  raisins,  and,  last  of  all, brought a dainty piece of
cheese from a basket.  The  Country Mouse, being much delighted at  the
sight of such good cheer, expressed his satisfaction in warm terms  and
lamented  his  own  hard  fate.   Just  as  they were beginning to eat,
someone opened the door,  and they both ran  off squeaking, as fast  as
they could, to a hole so narrow that two could only find room in it  by
squeezing.   They had  scarcely begun  their repast  again when someone
else entered  to take  something out  of a  cupboard, whereupon the two
Mice, more  frightened than  before, ran  away and  hid themselves.  At
last  the  Country  Mouse,  almost   famished,  said  to  his   friend:
"Although you have prepared for me so dainty a feast, I must leave  you
to enjoy  it by  yourself.   It is  surrounded by  too many  dangers to
please me.   I prefer my  bare plowlands and  roots from the  hedgerow,
where I can live in safety, and without fear."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOTTOM LIVE script

Fawlty Towers script for "A Touch of Class"