Aesop Fable information part 4

4|The Thief and the Innkeeper|FORE=7|BACK=4|MARG=5|SCFX=4


                     The Thief and the Innkeeper^15


A THIEF hired a  room in  a tavern and stayed  a while in  the hope  of
stealing something which should enable him to pay his reckoning.   When
he had waited some days in vain, he saw the Innkeeper dressed in a  new
and handsome  coat and  sitting before  his door.   The Thief  sat down
beside him and  talked with him.   As the conversation  began to  flag,
the Thief  yawned terribly  and at  the same  time howled  like a wolf.
The Innkeeper  said, "Why  do you  howl so  fearfully?'   "I will  tell
you," said the Thief, "but first let me ask you to hold my clothes,  or
I shall tear them to  pieces.  I know not,  sir, when I got this  habit
of yawning, nor whether these  attacks of howling were inflicted  on me
as a  judgment for  my crimes,  or for  any other  cause; but this I do
know, that when I yawn for the third time, I actually turn into a  wolf
and  attack  men."   With  this  speech  he  commenced  a second fit of
yawning  and  again  howled  like  a  wolf,  as  he  had at first.  The
Innkeeper,   hearing  his  tale  and  believing  what  he  said, became
greatly alarmed and, rising from his seat, attempted to run away.   The
Thief laid hold of  his coat and entreated  him to stop, saying,  "Pray
wait, sir, and hold  my clothes, or I  shall tear them to  pieces in my
fury, when  I turn  into a  wolf."   At the  same moment  he yawned the
third time and set up a terrible howl.  The Innkeeper, frightened  lest
he should be attacked,  left his new coat  in the Thief's hand  and ran
as fast as he could into the  inn for safety.  The Thief made  off with
the coat and did not return again to the inn.

Every tale is not to be believed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOTTOM LIVE script

Fawlty Towers script for "A Touch of Class"