Writing Picture Books

 Guest authors: Jary Jane Auch, Loreen Leedy, Janet Stevens & Nancy Van Laan

Topic: Writing Picture Books


Tuesdays 

9 p.m. ET (6 p.m. PT), Writers Workshop

Children's Writers chat - writers and illustrators of children's books meet for specific topics and special guest speakers, moderated by HOST WRTR WBABE & HOST WRTR CGaley, with HOST WRTR sUe & HOST WRTR Neely (Greeters).


6/9/98 5:05:32 PM Opening "Chat Log 6/9/98"


Guest authors: Mary Jane Auch, Loreen Leedy, Janet Stevens & Nancy Van Laan

Topic: Writing picture books


WriterBabe: We are going into protocol...NOW!


WriterBabe: When it's time for audience participation, type ? for a question, ! for a comment and wait


WriterBabe: your turn in the queue to be called on.


WriterBabe: Type GA for Go Ahead (guests too) when you're finished speaking.


WriterBabe: Tonight we are truly privileged to have four outstanding--and I do mean outstanding--


WriterBabe: picture books writers/illustrators:


WriterBabe: Mary Jane Auch, author of PEEPING BEAUTY, BANTAM OF THE OPERA and a host of other books;


WriterBabe: Loreen Leedy, who's written THE EDIBLE PYRAMID, POSTCARDS FROM PLUTO and many other


WriterBabe: non-fiction pb's;


WriterBabe: Janet Stevens, writer/reteller of THREE BILLY GOATS GRUFF, THE PRINCESS AND THE PEA, TOPS


WriterBabe: AND BOTTOMS, and other award-winners;


WriterBabe: And Nancy Van Laan, writer/reteller of RAINBOW CROW, WITH A WHOOP AND A HOLLER and a ton of


WriterBabe: other tales!


WriterBabe: Welcome, gals!


NVanlaan: glad to be here.


WriterBabe: Actually, I should probably ask you to wave:


LJLart: Great to be here!


WriterBabe: Mary Jane, say hi.


RhinoInk: This will be fun!


MJAlso: Hi, everybody!


WriterBabe: Mary Jane?


WriterBabe: Thanks.  Loreen, now you wave.


LJLart: (Now waving...)


Kalozow: HI Aplbrk


WriterBabe: Janet, give a howdy.


RhinoInk: Waves to all!


WriterBabe: And Nancy, you're screen name is obvious!


WriterBabe: I mean your.


NVanlaan: Yep. Dumb huh?


WriterBabe: Not at all, Nancy!


WriterBabe: Would any of you like to make opening remarks, or shall I plunge into questions?


RhinoInk: Questions would be great.


NVanlaan: Plunge away.


MJAlso: Questions.


WriterBabe: I'll take the plunge, then.


WriterBabe: Many people--both writers and non-writers--think picture books are easy to write.  We know


WriterBabe: that's not true.


WriterBabe: What makes them so difficult?  What makes a good pb?  What makes a bad one?


LJLart: I have been working on one for over a year, (it has a lot of detail.)


MJAlso: A good picture book has voice and heart.  A bad one is generic.


NVanlaan: Keeping it simple is key.


LJLart: A good book for me is one on a topic that hasn't been done to death.


RhinoInk: I always start with the pictures, then develop a story.


NVanlaan: Or a different slant.


WriterBabe: All of the editors I've spoken to about pb's mention voice as very important.


LJLart: A bad picture book to me is one with ugly art and illogical text.


WriterBabe: Could you elaborate on what you think it is?  What's a pb voice?


MJAlso: Voice is like a verbal fingerprint.


LJLart: Consistency for one.


RhinoInk: My cat was the voice of my new book.


WriterBabe: A verbal fingerprint--great description!


NVanlaan: The voice in my POSSUM book was me as a little girl.


LJLart: One of these days I want to write a book with all plant characters.


WriterBabe: So there isn't ONE voice for pb's.  But each pb has to have a unique and consistent voice.


NVanlaan: Yes.


WriterBabe: Loreen, great idea!


WriterBabe: Sometimes an animal or a child's voice, sometimes a storyteller's voice.


MJAlso: I think people should write the book only they can write.  Then the


MJAlso: voice comes through.


NVanlaan: In Whoop, I had to do many voices.


RhinoInk: It is important that the pictures speak with one consistent voice.


WriterBabe: Was that fun, Nancy?


WriterBabe: Janet, that's a great point!


WriterBabe: Is the voice for the pictures the same as the voice for the text?


LJLart: I find the characters (whether animals or people) dictate the boundaries of a story.


WriterBabe: Or can they be harmonic?


Jjjj1955: ?


NVanlaan: Lots. But took some doing. I had to sound like a Cajun, somebody from Appalachia and


NVanlaan: somebody from the deep south..


WriterBabe: A challenge, eh, Nancy?


NVanlaan: Great fun, though.


WriterBabe: Janet, can you answer my question about voice for pictures and text?


LJLart: In Postcards, I wrote each postcard as if a different student/character was the author.


WriterBabe: Yes, and I loved that, Loreen!  A great approach!


KYWRITE: ?


RhinoInk: It's important that the pictures match each other and the text.


PMunozRyan: ?


WriterBabe: But do they have to have the same voice, Janet?


RhinoInk: For many younger readers the pictures are the voice.


Pkbcmb: ?


WriterBabe: That makes sense.


WriterBabe: Okay, one more question from me, then I'll take questions from the eager crowd.


LJLart: I think the art usually is in harmony with the voice of the text.


WriterBabe: You're all artists, as well as writers (although not all of you illustrate).  How do the


WriterBabe: pictures and art work together?  How do you know what to illustrate?


LJLart: Each affects the other, I go back and forth.


MJAlso: I'm changing art and text all the way through the book.


RhinoInk: Do you mean the text and the art?


WriterBabe: Yes, Janet.


WriterBabe: And Mary Jane, could you elaborate?


MJAlso: It's nice being the author so you can cut text to make room for pictures,


MJAlso: and vice versa.GA


LJLart: Yes!!!


WriterBabe: Gotcha, Mary Jane.


WriterBabe: But how do you know what to illustrate?


RhinoInk: Sometimes working with other authors I find myself re-writing them.


RhinoInk: The stories that is...


LJLart: You draw the images that spring into your mind.


WriterBabe: Do they get angry, Janet?  LOL.


RhinoInk: That is what editors are for!


MJAlso: I work out the pacing with thumbnails, then design on the computer.


LJLart: I use post-its on a piece of paper to make a teensy book plan


LJLart: then use computer to draw dummy.


RhinoInk: I am writing with my sister now.


MJAlso: That's a great idea.


WriterBabe: Nancy, do you have a sense of what you'd like to see illustrated in your stories?


LJLart: I'm working on a project with my brother!


NVanlaan: All the time.


RhinoInk: I am also using the computer for initial design work.


MJAlso: The computer lets you try out so many more possibilities.


CGaley: ?


RhinoInk: I agree


WriterBabe: So, I'm getting the sense that you all see pictures along with text, which is another


WriterBabe: important aspects of pb writing.


WriterBabe: They have to be illustratable!


MJAlso: I loved To Market, Janet.


LJLart: My brother wrote out the story in words according to each page, with ideas for art.


WriterBabe: Sounds simplistic, but I believe it's one of the problems with bad pbs.


RhinoInk: Thanks, MJ


MJAlso: I think most good pb witers are visual, whether or not they illustrate.


WriterBabe: Well-put, MJ.


WriterBabe: Okay, now it's time for audience participation.


WriterBabe: Jjjj, you're first.


RhinoInk: Visualizing the story first is important for me!


Jjjj1955: This voice thing still confuses me.  You say it's like a verbal fingerprint Mary Jane.  Is


Jjjj1955: it like the soul of your writing and how do you know it's comng through? ga


MJAlso: It's your particular way of saying things.  Sometimes if you work too


MJAlso: hard at it, you kill the voice.


Lisa22889: ?


DCBlaine: ?


LJLart: I think The True Story of the 3 Pigs has a distinctive voice.


RhinoInk: Don't want to think about it too much. Just write.


MJAlso: Yes, and When I Was Young in the Mountains - Rylant.


LJLart: Reading other author's books can give you a sense of the possibilities.


WriterBabe: Nancy, do you want to add a comment on voice?


NVanlaan: I don't actually think about it when I write.


LJLart: Voice is partly the attitude that comes across, don't you think?


WriterBabe: Good comment, Loreen.


NVanlaan: Feeling, perhaps.


WriterBabe: Attitude and vocabulary and syntax and the way of speaking, I think.


WriterBabe: And feeling for sure.


WriterBabe: Does that help, Jjjj?


RhinoInk: It could also be characteristics of the drawings (shoes on animals)


Jjjj1955: yes thanks.


LJLart: Sense of humor or drama, what the characters notice, respond to...


WriterBabe: Great comments, gals!


Jjjj1955: I'm still not sure I have it in some of my writing but I think I do in others. ga


WriterBabe: KY, your turn.


LJLart: Yes, there is a voice in the art!


KYWRITE: Sorry GA


WriterBabe: Okay, Pam.


PMunozRyan: Since I don't illustrate, I'm always waiting to hear from an editor whether an illustrator


PMunozRyan: has agreed to a project.  What factors affect an illustrator accepting a manuscript that


PMunozRyan: they didn't write? ga


WriterBabe: (Good question, Pam)


MJAlso: I have to love it as much as I love the Vivian Vande Velde manuscript


MJAlso: I'm doing soon.


WriterBabe: What do you love about it, MJ?


RhinoInk: It has to move me! I've turned down most lately.


MJAlso: It's funnier than anything I've ever written.  Great voice!


WriterBabe: What's wrong with them, Janet?


RhinoInk: They are not GOOD stories.


RhinoInk: They don't have beginning, middle and end.


LJLart: For me, I have too many books of my own to be able to illustrate others.


BekaMouse: ?


WriterBabe: Hmm, that sounds pretty bad, Janet.


MJAlso: Sometimes there aren't enough photo ops.


WriterBabe: Thanks, gals.


WriterBabe: Pkb, you're on.


Pkbcmb: Once your manuscript is accepted, how much editorial input is there in the 


Pkbcmb: final manuscript (typically). ga


RhinoInk: I am writing most of my own books now with my sister.


NVanlaan: Depends on what you've written.  Sometimes very little.  Other


NVanlaan: times not.


LJLart: Some editors just seem to want to change things regardless. ga


NVanlaan: Yes.  Depends on your editor.


LJLart: Sometimes, if you don't make a big deal about it, they'll forget! ga


NVanlaan: I had one that rewrote a story.  I pulled out just about...


WriterBabe: Nancy, what did you do with your story?


NVanlaan: I got mad.  Huffed and puffed.  Then went back to the original.


MJAlso: LOL, Loreen!


WriterBabe: LOL, Loreen.


WriterBabe: I think a good editor has a good sense of what it is you want to accomplish in your book,


JackieZ3: ?


WriterBabe: and helps you accomplish that.


WriterBabe: At least that's been my experience.


LJLart: Often, they make a crucial contribution to a book, even think of the concept (non-fiction). ga


WriterBabe: Good for you, Nancy.


WriterBabe: And I agree, Loreen.


WriterBabe: GA, gals?


Pkbcmb: Thanks very much


LJLart: I like to get the fresh, informed viewpoint of an editor.


WriterBabe: Chuck, your turn.


CGaley: Do you design your layouts & illustrations on the computer and


CGaley: then do the illos traditionally? ga


BOEDEN: ?


MJAlso: I design on the computer and do finals in oils.


LJLart: I'm currently, writing, designing, and illustrating a book all on the 'puter.ga


IronLady32: !


CGaley: !


RhinoInk: I draw, scan, modify on computer, print, then paint


Aplbrk: !


MJAlso: You paint on the print, Janet?


RhinoInk: I am also experimenting with mixing drawing an real objects.


WriterBabe: Iron, you have a comment?


RhinoInk: Yes, I print onto watercolor paper then paint over it.


IronLady32: I am amazed that you use oils which dry so slowly.  Is 


IronLady32: there a particular reason?   I ask because I, too, am an 


IronLady32: artist.


LJLart: Could you explain more about the real objects?


IronLady32: ga


MJAlso: I'm using water soluable oils.  They dry much faster.  I like the richness.ga


RhinoInk: like in To Market, I had digital photos of real things in the drawings


WriterBabe: I'm sorry, but I don't want to get too technical about art tonight, gang.


IronLady32: thanks/


WriterBabe: This is a writers' chat.


LJLart: Sorry, occupational hazard.


WriterBabe: Chuck, go ahead with your comment.


MJAlso: Sorry.


RhinoInk: picture = 1000 words


CGaley: How are you finding editors and AD's responding to digital art? ga


CGaley: This is my last "technical question."  ga "-)


MJAlso: Depends on the house.


RhinoInk: In my case it is difficult to identify digital part


LJLart: They are open to it so far.


WriterBabe: Barbara, go ahead with your comment.


CGaley: Thanks  :-)


WriterBabe: Then the next three questioners are Lisa, DC and Beka.


WriterBabe: Barb?


Aplbrk: What program or software do you use for dummying?


RhinoInk: Photoshop


LJLart: Photoshop for drawing, Illustrator for text. ga


WriterBabe: Lisa, you're on.


Lisa22889: I have heard that good stories have both internal  and external conflict. 


MJAlso: I use Dimensions for 3D setting and bring it into Photoshop.


Lisa22889: Have you noticed this with pbs and if so


Neely f: ++++++++  15 MINUTE  WARNING  +++++++


Lisa22889: are you conscious of this during the writing


Lisa22889: or does it just fall into place? ga


LJLart: Internal as in character's mind?


WriterBabe: Lisa, what do you mean by internal vs. external?


Lisa22889: Internal


Lisa22889: being the thoughts and an internal


Lisa22889: struggle..like do I take the cookies or not


Lisa22889: the external being Mom saying no for example


Lisa22889: ga


MJAlso: I don't get that technical.  I set up a conflict for the character and have him work through


MJAlso: it. ga


WriterBabe: Loreen, Janet, Nancy, what's your response to Lisa?


LJLart: That could be something to keep in mind, can't say I've heard it put like that.


MJAlso: If you put yourself in the head of the character, it takes care of itself.


RhinoInk: Sorry, I need to run. Thanks a bunch. It has been fun!


LJLart: Bye!


NVanlaan: I don't really think about this when I write.  Sorry.


WriterBabe: Janet has another engagement.  Thank you for participating, Janet!


MJAlso: 'Bye, Janet.


Lisa22889: That answers my question, thanks!


WriterBabe: DC, ask away.


RhinoInk: good bye all!


DCBlaine: I want to send 4 pb's at once to several publishers in a truly simultaneous submission...


DCBlaine: Good move? Any thoughts pro/con? ga


LJLart: Not good, you can burn bridges that way.


NVanlaan: Bad move.  What (gasp) if they are all bought at once?ga


WriterBabe: Mary Jane?


MJAlso: I wouldn't send more than one at a time to each publisher.


MJAlso: You're competing with yourself.ga


LJLart: Better to put a time limit , i.e. notify them after a month you're sending it elsewhere. ga


NVanlaan: Not a wise thing to do.


DCBlaine: I'm not a published author...what bridges are there to burn?


WriterBabe: LOL, DC.


Aplbrk: !


LJLart: You are burning potential bridges.


MJAlso: Editors are like elephants.  They remember.


LJLart: Agreed!!!


WriterBabe: Barb, go ahead with your comment.


DCBlaine: i get the picture...


Aplbrk: I think DC has a point.  Multiple submissions for beginners


Aplbrk: is not a terrible idea, and even so for advanced writers.


Aplbrk: The waiting time has become so enormous (1 year or more


MJAlso: I thought she was sending several at once to same house.


Aplbrk: for some) that it isn't fair to tie up a pb with one publisher at


Aplbrk: a time.


LJLart: Must respecfully disagree. 1 year for what?


WriterBabe: I sent my first pb to three publishers simultaneously (because I didn't know any better)--


WriterBabe: with no ill results.


Neely f: ^^**^*^^*^*^*^ 10 MINUTE WARNING  ^*^*^*^*^*^


Aplbrk: Ooops.  Did I get it wrong?  All to the same house?


WriterBabe: I tend to agree with Barb.


WriterBabe: DC, all to the same house?


Aplbrk: I'd say no to all to the same house; competing with yourself


Aplbrk: and all that.


NVanlaan: Editors at different houses know each other.  Still say not wise


NVanlaan: to do.ga


DCBlaine: 4 stories all to different houses


Aplbrk: Marilyn...maybe worth a whole chat some time?


MJAlso: I think submitting to three or four houses at a time is OK, but no more.


WriterBabe: Dunno, Barb.  I think we'd just get twenty different opinions and no answers!  LOL!


WriterBabe: But maybe...


LJLart: I would send them out to different houses one month apart.


Aplbrk: !


DCBlaine: (sorry to take up so much time...ga)


WriterBabe: Maybe an editorial survey.


WriterBabe: I think we should move on.


WriterBabe: Beka, your turn.


BekaMouse: How can you tell if you've written a PB or short story?


WriterBabe: (Sorry, Barb)


WriterBabe: (Good question, Beka!)


NVanlaan: The amount of words used.


LJLart: Length and need for art.


MJAlso: I think it has to do with the number of photo ops.


WriterBabe: MJ, want to add to that?


BekaMouse: But some short stories are only 300 words, and some PB are 1500!


LJLart: A picture book is supposed to tell story with text and art, they are interdependent. ga


WriterBabe: Illustratability is a key.


BekaMouse: Thanks.


WriterBabe: I think depth of characterization and descriptions also make a difference.


LJLart: Some "picturebooks" are really storybooks that have some pictures.


WriterBabe: Would you agree, gals?


NVanlaan: Yes.


WriterBabe: Jackie, your turn.


JackieZ3: I am about to self-publish my first children's activity book. Any input? GA


NVanlaan: Dont know much about that. Sorry. ga


LJLart: Good luck distributing it... I'd self-publish some things too, if I could crack that riddle!


WriterBabe: Self-publishing's tough, Jackie, unless you have much time and energy and outlets to promote


WriterBabe: and distribute.


MJAlso: Give it a cover that will be eye catching.


WriterBabe: Good tip, MJ.


WriterBabe: Sue, last question.


JackieZ3: Initially, I am going to distribute through retail stores where my stationery products are s


LJLart: Advertise in a teacher magazine, go to conferences.


BOEDEN: My question was asked and answered, THX, ga


MJAlso: I think distibution of that kind of thing will be very difficult.


WriterBabe: Gals, how about some final words of advice for our audience?


Neely f: @#@#@#@ 5 MINUTE WARNING @#@##@#


JackieZ3: Thanks for the input. What about at school fund raisers?GA


LJLart: Read Writing With Pictures, by Uri Shulevitz


MJAlso: Try to come up with something new, or a new twist on something old.


NVanlaan: Put your words to music.


JOANWRITE: ?


MJAlso: Grab your audience with the first sentence.


LJLart: Find a 5 year old to be a consultant.


WriterBabe: Great advice!  Joan, time for one more question.


JOANWRITE: Have you ever been asked to lengthen a picture book to a chapter book orlonger?


Ruth Sil: Ditto for USri Shulevitz!


LJLart: Not me.


NVanlaan: Yes. Once.  I still have it in my files.


LJLart: Another good book is Writing on Both Sides of Your Brain.


MJAlso: No.  MId grade kids don't read about chickens!


WriterBabe: MJ, I want to ask you--why poultry????


MJAlso: I just like chickens.  grew up with them.


LJLart: How about Teenage Mutant Ninja Chickens?


MJAlso: Hey Great idea!


HOPEMAR: Thanks to all our knowledgeable guests.


WriterBabe: Cool, MJ!


BKWSSF: ?


WriterBabe: I think our time's up, gang?


Neely f: It's about that time, folks.


DawnLesley: Thanks -- lots of great information


Aplbrk: Goodnight all, and thanks!


JOANWRITE: Thanks guests!  Thanks Marilyn and Donna too.


BOEDEN: Aplause! Aplause!!  Thank you for making the time authors!


LJLart: Thanks for inviting me, it was fun!!!!


6/9/98 6:12:22 PM Closing "Chat Log 6/9/98"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOTTOM LIVE script

Fawlty Towers script for "A Touch of Class"