Children's Writers' Chat 4-24-01

<HTML>Children's Writers' Chat 4-24-01<BR>
Guest: <FONT  BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 PTSIZE=10>Donna Bray, editor at Hyperion<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 PTSIZE=10 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
WriterBabe: Tonight I'm delighted to welcome back one of our favorite<BR>
guests--<BR>
WriterBabe: Donna Bray, editor at Hyperion.<BR>
WriterBabe: Hi, Donna.<BR>
MJBray: Greetings!  I love this chat.<BR>
WriterBabe: And we love you!<BR>
MJBray: Aw shucks! GA<BR>
WriterBabe: Well, Ms. Bray, you've stirred up a lot of excitement with your<BR>
contest news.<BR>
WriterBabe: So, right off the bat, I'd like you to tell us all about it.<BR>
WriterBabe: What is it (for those who don't know)?<BR>
WriterBabe: Why are you having it?<BR>
WriterBabe: What are you hoping to find?  GA<BR>
MJBray: I'm so glad!!  The contest is for a work of contemporary or<BR>
historical fiction, set in the <BR>
BOEDEN: (HJL114, please turn in your IM.)<BR>
MJBray: US, that celebrates or relfects the diverse ethnic heritage of our<BR>
country.  Basically,<BR>
HJL114: hjl114@aol.com<BR>
MJBray: I wanted to find a way to make a broad appeal to writers around the<BR>
country but in<BR>
MJBray: a more targeted way.  Since Hyperion does not accept unsolicited<BR>
mss., I thought<BR>
MJBray: we were missing out on a large percentage of writers who don't have<BR>
agents for whatever<BR>
MJBray: reason.  I also wanted to target writers of all backgrounds, and get<BR>
people thinking about<BR>
MJBray: the broad range of possibilities when you're talking about ethnic<BR>
heritage -- OUR ONLY MAY<BR>
MJBray: AMELIA is a great example of a fascinating but under-written part of<BR>
our history and culture<BR>
MJBray: I'm hoping to find a brilliant writer (or more than one!) GA<BR>
WriterBabe: Who will the judges be, Donna?  And what is the time-frame for<BR>
the contest?  GA<BR>
MJBray: The judges are the editors of Hyperion. In the future we may recruit<BR>
guest judges -- authors<BR>
MJBray: etc.  The contest is from 5/1-8/31 but please obtain guidelines and<BR>
an entry form -- alas<BR>
MJBray: I forgot to bring one home!  But Marilyn you have the info. GA<BR>
WriterBabe: Yes, I sent it to our mailing list--where to get guidelines and<BR>
an entry form.<BR>
WriterBabe: If anyone hasn't received that info, you can write me and I will<BR>
send the address.<BR>
WriterBabe: Let's talk a bit about what makes a good novel.<BR>
WriterBabe: What makes you want to publish one?  What will you look for in<BR>
the winning entry?  GA<BR>
MJBray: Well, I am always looking for a strong narrative voice first.  I<BR>
think I am repeating myself<BR>
MJBray: from a long-ago chat, but I look for a narrator with whom I wouldn't<BR>
mind spending time with<BR>
MJBray: at the laundromat or something, that's how compelling they are.  I'm<BR>
also looking for a <BR>
MJBray: sense of urgency in the story, which doesn't mean murder-mystery<BR>
suspence necessarily<BR>
WriterBabe: (Fine to repeat yourself.  Good advice can never be repeated<BR>
enough)<BR>
MJBray: but a quality of the story that propels you through.  I'm looking<BR>
for an original approach <BR>
MJBray: to subjects, or better yet an original subject!  I'm looking for<BR>
fully realized main <BR>
MJBray: characters and well-sketched secondary characters.  I'm looking to<BR>
learn something and to <BR>
MJBray: have an experience of another world. I'm sure you all have the exact<BR>
book I'm looking<BR>
MJBray: for!  Please send it! GA<BR>
WriterBabe: Speaking of repeating oneself, I've asked this question of every<BR>
editor--more than once.  <BR>
WriterBabe: What makes a BAD novel?  What frequent causes of rejection?  GA<BR>
MJBray: Hmmm.  A flatness to the prose, unmemorable dialogue, characters who<BR>
are cliched<BR>
MJBray: or just boring (can I be that blunt?). In the more promising<BR>
rejections (which I always<BR>
MJBray: send back with an encouraging note or suggestions), there are just<BR>
too many contra<BR>
MJBray: dictions and unresolved issues for me to make an offer, but the<BR>
writing is good and the <BR>
MJBray: approach is original at least -- those books have a great spirit to<BR>
them even if they are<BR>
MJBray: flawed.  But I would say that the great majority of the rejected<BR>
novels just don't have<BR>
MJBray: anything memorable about them. GA<BR>
WriterBabe: How about too much exposition and no action?  It's important to<BR>
start with character, yes, <BR>
WriterBabe: but compelling story also helps.<BR>
WriterBabe: And compelling story isn't quite enough if the character isn't<BR>
interesting.<BR>
WriterBabe: Would you agree?  GA<BR>
MJBray: Oh, of course! Let's not forget the obvious.  Character is<BR>
paramount.<BR>
MJBray: No matter what happens in a story the characters are key.  And yes,<BR>
you want to develop<BR>
MJBray: those characters through action and interaction with other<BR>
characters.  That I think is one <BR>
MJBray: of the best ways to develop character -- how do different<BR>
personalities mix?  There's no<BR>
MJBray: better way of giving your reader info about your characters. GA<BR>
WriterBabe: I'll never forget something a kid asked me:  How do you make a<BR>
story long enough?  She <BR>
WriterBabe: understood plot, but not sub-plot.<BR>
WriterBabe: She could focus on her protagonist, but not other characters.<BR>
WriterBabe: It's a tricky balancing act.<BR>
WriterBabe: What novels do you recommend that folks read?<BR>
WriterBabe: Which novels ahve you edited, and what do they indicate about<BR>
your taste?  GA<BR>
MJBray: It is tricky. I think part of the key is developing and knowing all<BR>
of the characters and<BR>
MJBray: their concerns and relationships, and how what they do or don't do<BR>
affects the pro<BR>
MJBray: tagonists.  A book is like a web.  Oh, Marilyn, I knew you'd ask for<BR>
recommendations!<BR>
PHeeren: ?<BR>
WriterBabe: Actually--someone else asked for them, too.<BR>
WriterBabe: LOL<BR>
WriterBabe: GA<BR>
MJBray: Of course I can't think.  But ok, I think read the works of Avi to<BR>
see how a writer can work<BR>
MJBray: so many different genres and get into the heads of different<BR>
characters.  Also notice that <BR>
MJBray: the form of the narrative -- which in Avi's books is sometimes<BR>
unusual -- always follows the<BR>
MJBray: what the stroy requires.  I'd look to the works of someone like<BR>
Adele Griffin for amazing <BR>
MJBray: character development.  As for a writer with an incredible voice and<BR>
original if flawed <BR>
MJBray: work, Patrice Kindl (OWL IN LOVE).  There are so many and I can't<BR>
believe I can't name more!<BR>
MJBray: My head is full of Louise Erdrich's latest adult novel -- talk about<BR>
a brilliant writer. GA<BR>
WriterBabe: You edit Adele Griffin, yes?  How about Avi?  GA<BR>
MJBray: Yes. A little self-promotion, but they are the first 2 I think of<BR>
since their books are on <BR>
MJBray: my desk. Is that cheating? GA<BR>
WriterBabe: Not in the least.   <BR>
MJBray: Full disclosure -- I also edit Louise. GA<BR>
WriterBabe: I give high marks to OWL IN LOVE.  Amazing book.<BR>
WriterBabe: One last question, then I'm opening this to the audience.<BR>
WriterBabe: What distinguishes Hyperion from other houses re:  taste?  GA<BR>
MJBray: That's a tough one.  I think we tend to be attracted to strong<BR>
books, as opposed to <BR>
MJBray: quiet books. Also our fiction list is relatively small and select,<BR>
so we're not looking to<BR>
MJBray: fill slots in certain categories, or publishing much midlist. We do<BR>
publish a wide range of<BR>
MJBray: voices, from Gretel Ehrlich, who has a very poetic voice and writes<BR>
about nature, to <BR>
MJBray: Sharon Flake, who writes tough contemporary African-American<BR>
fiction, to Lois-Ann Yamanaka<BR>
WriterBabe: (Folks, start typing ? and !)<BR>
MJBray: who is Hawaiian and writes in this kind of electric pidgin-flavored<BR>
prose.  Also Bill <BR>
PHeeren: !<BR>
Ddilcher77: ?<BR>
MJBray: Nicholson, who writes cinematic, fast paced (but also warm and<BR>
funny, with great character<BR>
MJBray: development) fantasy.  We publish more popular writers too, like<BR>
Gordon Korman and<BR>
MJBray: Dan Gutman.  So there's room for a wide range of voices -- but no<BR>
room for mediocrity!GA<BR>
Rappaho: ?<BR>
CMOONWRITR: ?<BR>
WriterBabe: Thanks, Donna.<BR>
WriterBabe: The crowd is itching to ask questions.  <BR>
WriterBabe: Pheeren, you're first.<BR>
PHeeren: I am skeptical because most ya novels are written about taboos but<BR>
I am not dure <BR>
PHeeren: what my nieces would read about taboos in novels, of course, do you<BR>
have a comment to my con<BR>
PHeeren: cerns?<BR>
PHeeren: ga<BR>
MJBray: One thing I did not mention and I apologize -- the contest is<BR>
RoxyanneY: ?<BR>
MJBray: actually not for what is considered YA in publishing,<BR>
MJBray: but is targeted for 8-12 year olds. But I'm not sure I understand <BR>
MJBray: your question about YA lit and taboos. GA<BR>
PHeeren: oops, I misunderstood you, I was referring to my nephews under age<BR>
10<BR>
PHeeren: ga<BR>
PHeeren: I apologize<BR>
PHeeren: ga<BR>
MJBray: If you're asking if the subjects need be controversial, then<BR>
MJBray: my answer is -- of course not!  The novels don't need to be<BR>
MJBray: tearjerkers either.  I actually prefer a story with humor, even<BR>
MJBray: if it is serious.  Also I don't think a subject needs to be shocking<BR>
or taboo in <BR>
MJBray: order for the story to be powerful. GA<BR>
WriterBabe: Ddil, you're next.<BR>
Ddilcher77: So does one have to have an agent in order to get published with<BR>
Hyperion? ga.<BR>
MJBray: Normally, yes.  Several houses have this policy for a<BR>
MJBray: variety of reasons -- company policy on unsolicited<BR>
MJBray: material, lack of staff to field unsolicited submissions, etc.<BR>
MJBray: BUT the contest opesn the door to novelists without agents.<BR>
MJBray: I think it's also a great way for a writer to start his or her<BR>
Ddilcher77: Is this because of the large number of submissions you have? ga.<BR>
MJBray: career with a big publicity BANG. GA<BR>
WriterBabe: It sure is.<BR>
Ddilcher77: Thank you. ga.<BR>
MJBray: In our case, company policy. Also we have a small staff. GA<BR>
WriterBabe: Rap, your turn.<BR>
Rappaho: what makes a strong book, and what aboout picture books?<BR>
MudderGG: ?<BR>
MJBray: What makes a strong picture book? Well, a text that<BR>
MJBray: suggests visuals but does not dictate them, for one. The<BR>
MJBray: Picbook is a form like a sonnet (here I go plagiarizing myself<BR>
MJBray: again).  A picbook text has to work in a 32-page format, and<BR>
MJBray: has to have a pace, a rhythm, that works with the content of<BR>
MJBray: the story.  It's hard to say all the things that make a good one<BR>
Ddilcher77: ?<BR>
CED64: ?<BR>
MJBray: since there are so many genres within the picbook format.  But<BR>
Rappaho: and do they need agents too?<BR>
MJBray: those are 2 general ones. GA<BR>
MJBray: Just to reiterate -- all authors and illustrators we work with<BR>
MJBray: at HBFC needs to be agented except for entries to the contest<BR>
Rappaho: thank you so much.  ga<BR>
MJBray: we are sponsoring, which is only for middle-grade novels. GA<BR>
BOEDEN: ©©©©~ 15 MINUTE WARNING ~©©©©<BR>
WriterBabe: CMoon, you're up.<BR>
CMOONWRITR: How do you feel about historicals for middle graders or YA? And<BR>
do you consider<BR>
CMOONWRITR: anything before 1970 an historical? LOL GA<BR>
WriterRoss: ?<BR>
MJBray: Love historical fiction for midgrade and YA. Heck, 1978 <BR>
MJBray: is history to readers today! GA<BR>
CMOONWRITR: <thanks><BR>
WriterBabe: Roxy, go ahead.<BR>
RoxyanneY: I'm hoping you'll talk a little about the role of agents adn<BR>
editors --<BR>
RoxyanneY: is it possible to have the kind of career-nurturing relationship<BR>
with my editor<BR>
RoxyanneY: liek those of Ursula Nordstrom, or is the editor's mission these<BR>
RoxyanneY: days more focused on finding commercially successful properties,<BR>
RoxyanneY: leaving the career-nurturing to writing groups and agents? GA<BR>
WriterBabe: (Great question!)<BR>
MJBray: I absolutely think that an editor can nurture a writer's<BR>
MJBray: career.  I think that in a tough marketplace, everyone just<BR>
MJBray: has to be more proactive -- writers, agents, publishers all<BR>
MJBray: must take equal responsibility for a writer's career.  Now that<BR>
MJBray: the trade market is so important, and that the superstores<BR>
MJBray: and mass market outlets are influential in a way that they weren't <BR>
MJBray: before, and now that the Internet has made writers more<BR>
MJBray: accessible -- we all have to be thinking strategically.  Never<BR>
MJBray: leave your career just up to your publisher, or just up to<BR>
MJBray: your agent.  You must manage your career and make sure<BR>
MJBray: everyone is doing what can be done for you (within reason<BR>
MJBray: of course!) GA<BR>
BOEDEN: ©©©©~ 10 MINUTE WARNING ~©©©©<BR>
WriterBabe: Give us an example of strategic thinking, please, Donna.  GA<BR>
MJBray: Considering the subject of the book and ways that it might<BR>
MJBray: be positioned -- for instance, if you did a book on a particular<BR>
breed of dog<BR>
MJBray: and have contacts in the dog-breeding community, you<BR>
MJBray: may have access to journalists or newsletters or groups that<BR>
MJBray: can help promote your book to a particular market. GA<BR>
WriterBabe: Thanks.<BR>
WriterBabe: Mudder, your turn.<BR>
MudderGG: Is there a page or word limit for the contest submission?  GA<BR>
MJBray: Frankly, I forget!  I think it is no less than 100 pp. and no more<BR>
than<BR>
MJBray: 240. GA<BR>
WriterBabe: Ddil, you're next.<BR>
Ddilcher77: You said you are looking for cultural stories.  Could this<BR>
include a story about children <BR>
Ddilcher77: of migrant farm workers? ga.<BR>
MJBray: Absolutely!  It could be about growing up Jewish in the<BR>
MJBray: Bronx in the 1950s, a Chicana girl in contemporary LA, an<BR>
MJBray: Amish family... doesn't matter to me.  It's a pretty loose<BR>
MJBray: definition so if you can justify it, I'll believe it. GA<BR>
WriterBabe: Hey, I grew up Jewish in the Bronx in the 1950's!   ;-)<BR>
WriterBabe: Guess I can't enter the contest, though.<BR>
WriterBabe: Pam, you're next.<BR>
WriterRoss: Hi Donna: re: the New Voices contest: I take it you would not<BR>
like to see characters <BR>
MJBray: Hey, I grew up Catholic in the Bronx in the 1970s!<BR>
WriterRoss: that are incidentally of a certain cultural background. To<BR>
reflect and celebrate means<BR>
WriterRoss: that the cultural background is integral to the plot and the<BR>
conflict. Does this sound <BR>
Ddilcher77: My mother's family were migrant farm workers in California in<BR>
the 1020's. ga<BR>
WriterRoss: right from your perspective? Thanks so much for opening the<BR>
doors to Hyperion for <BR>
MJBray: If the characters are of a certain ethnic or cultural background<BR>
BOEDEN: ©©©©~ 5 MINUTE WARNING ~©©©©<BR>
WriterRoss: us...  and GA--- Pamela <g><BR>
MJBray: I would like to see this inform the story in some way. GA<BR>
WriterRoss: I love it. Thanks. GA--- Pamela<BR>
WriterBabe: Any final questions for Donna?<BR>
Ddilcher77: Will this contest be available next year?<BR>
Ddilcher77: ga.<BR>
MJBray: If it is successful this year, then I'm hoping to make it an<BR>
MJBray: annual event. GA<BR>
WriterBabe: Whoohoo!<BR>
WriterBabe: You heard it here, folks.<BR>
Robnonair: ?<BR>
WriterBabe: Rob, okay.<BR>
Robnonair: Are illustrations allowed with the written word?<BR>
Robnonair: ga<BR>
MJBray: Hmmm.  Why not? GA<BR>
WriterBabe: We're about out of time.  Any final words of wisdom for us,<BR>
Donna?  GA<BR>
MJBray: I'd just love to see a strong representation from this community<BR>
RoxyanneY: (So would we!)<BR>
MJBray: in the contest.  I really hope this is a big success, and I thank<BR>
MJBray: you for your support. GA<BR>
BOEDEN: ©~ ZERO HOUR © Time's up for tonight. ~©<BR>
RoxyanneY: Superb workshop! I always leave here so enthused about writing.<BR>
Thank you!!!<BR>
CGaley: Thanks, Donna!  G'night, everyone... see you next week!<BR>
Ddilcher77: Thank you for inviting Donna.  <BR>
WriterBabe: Thank you, Donna!<BR>
Pete n Gun:   Thanks Donna!  <BR>
WriterBabe: You were fabulous, as always!<BR>
ChloeB23: Thank you, Donna***<BR>
Ekbruno: night all ...<BR>
MJBray: Thank you all again -- it was fun as always.  Hope I answered your<BR>
MJBray: questions.<BR>
((end))</FONT></HTML>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOTTOM LIVE script

Fawlty Towers script for "A Touch of Class"