Harbour Golf Course

 THIS COURSE WAS ORIGINALLY DONE BY SCOTT CHESNEY.


I was fortunate enough to have a friend send me the yardage book

which was very helpful in my adaptation. This couple with my respect

for Scott's work and having redone Mean 18 version led me to this.

I like to rework something that is good to begin with. You should

not believe that I don't like Scott's work. I love it. It will give

you a chance to look at the same course done a couple of ways. First

what makes the course is the outstanding background which is Scott's

The clubhouse was added by Lonnie Iris my design partner. It was 

reproduced from a photo we had and looks just like it. Most of the

objects were borrowed from various Chesney courses with the live 

oak and small willow mine. Hopefully these will convey the look and

feel of South Carolina.


Scott's version was far too simple as this is one of the hardest

courses to score on the tour. This results from trees next to and

even in the fairway. A couple of holes feature chute shots off the 

tees. I have tried to recapture the sand appearance of the style

used throughout the course. On the real course there are railroad

ties everywhere. Unfortunately these are almost impossible to  do

and yet have them look and play realisticly. They have been used

on a couple of the par 3's.


The green's are small and DYE and NICKLAUS (the course designers)

don't believe in three putts. Here's hoping you don't find one. 

Because many of the greens are guarded by trees, hitting them in

regulation will be a challenge. This course will definitely test

your ability to make all the shots. Nicklaus was quoted once 

"I get angrier here than anywhere else. This place is designed

for some shots I'm not supposed to be able to make and that's a

challenge. Then when I can't hit them, it just burns my rear up"

I hope you agree that I have reproduced that challenge.


Once again I would like to thank Scott for his understanding 

in my reasoning for reworking the course. I actually perfer this

to building a course from scratch as it allows me to concentrate

on enhancing without worrying about the basics. 


Unfortuately it was impossible to recapture the feel of the salt 

marsh on #18. This is one of the high points of the course and I 

could not find a way to do it real justice. A few effects still

elude us and I guess that is why we keep designing.


Any comments can be sent to Rod Harris (YATZ)

                            314 E Hancock

                            Appleton, Wi 54911


   or call me at 414-731-6814.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOTTOM LIVE script

Fawlty Towers script for "A Touch of Class"