Children's Writers Workshop Log 10-16-01

 Children's Writers Workshop Log 10-16-01 


Tonight's topic: WHAT DO LIBRARIANS LIKE? 


Guests: Becky Hoover, Jessica Swaim, and Diane Zoller.



Tuesdays 

9 p.m. ET (6 p.m. PT), Writers Workshop

Children's Writers chat - writers and illustrators of children's books meet for specific topics and special guest speakers, moderated by HOST WRTR WBABE & HOST WRTR CGaley, with HOST WRTR sUe & HOST WRTR Neely (Greeters).


<HTML><FONT  COLOR="#f20884" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 PTSIZE=10><B>Children's Writers Workshop</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#0000d4" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 PTSIZE=10 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></B> 10-16-01</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 PTSIZE=10 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"> <BR>

Tonight's topic is <B> </FONT><FONT  COLOR="#0000d4" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 PTSIZE=10 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">WHAT DO LIBRARIANS LIKE?</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 PTSIZE=10 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"> </FONT><FONT  COLOR="#ff0000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 PTSIZE=10 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>

Guests: Becky Hoover, Jessica Swaim, and Diane Zoller.<BR>

</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 PTSIZE=10 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></B><BR>

WriterBabe: Tonight, I'm delighted to welcome three of our favorite<BR>

professionals to the chat--<BR>

WriterBabe: librarians Becky Hoover, Jessica Swaim, and Diane Zoeller.<BR>

WriterBabe: Welcome, gals!<BR>

OtterBabe3: Thanks for inviting me!<BR>

WriterBabe: Let's start off with the burning question--what do you like and<BR>

why?<BR>

CT Booky: Thanks.<BR>

WriterBabe: Who wants to answer first?<BR>

WriterBabe: GA<BR>

WriterBabe: Don't all jump at once.  LOL<BR>

WriterBabe: Becky, may I start with you?<BR>

CT Booky: Okay, I'll start.<BR>

CT Booky: I like historical fiction, because it's an entertaining way for<BR>

children to become immersed in history.<BR>

CT Booky: I've learned so many things I never knew before by reading<BR>

historical fiction.<BR>

CT Booky: ga<BR>

WriterBabe: How about you, Jessica?  GA<BR>

Authoress4: i like pb's which are funny and silly, rhyme when it's well done<BR>

Authoress4: i like lots of individual titles, esp contemp fiction that gets<BR>

Authoress4: overlooked all too often bec kids like series<BR>

Authoress4: GA<BR>

WriterBabe: And you, Diane?  GA<BR>

OtterBabe3: Love all good books! Favorites are Karen Hesse because she is so<BR>

creative. I love fantasy also. L'Engle, T.A. Barron.<BR>

OtterBabe3: Just all books that are written from the heart. ga<BR>

WriterBabe: What a wide range of tastes you all have!  Cool!<BR>

CT Booky: I like humor, too. ga<BR>

WriterBabe: How much influence do you have on what the libraries buy?  GA<BR>

Authoress4: at our library we have about 8 children's librarians, some<BR>

parttime,<BR>

Authoress4: and we each order for certain parts of the collection<BR>

Authoress4: we go through journals every week and mark selections, GA<BR>

WriterBabe: What part of you responsible for, Jessica?  GA<BR>

Authoress4: the zeros, the 780s and 790s.  weird, huh? <G> not necessarily<BR>

my choice...<BR>

Authoress4: but we're going to redivide the areas soon<BR>

Authoress4: so right now I have computer books, the arts, sports<BR>

Authoress4: GA<BR>

WriterBabe: LOL<BR>

WriterBabe: Becky and Diane, how about you?<BR>

OtterBabe3: I buy everything in a school library. Make all final decisions<BR>

but get lots of input from students & staff. I rely on book reviews from<BR>

various journals for help and love to get prepub copies from publishers so I<BR>

can read in advance<BR>

OtterBabe3: and then promote the books to our students. ga<BR>

CT Booky: My library works like Pamela's.  Since I'm part-time I'm not part<BR>

of the process, but because I have exposure to authors at writers'<BR>

conferences I often make suggestions that get purchased.<BR>

CT Booky: So become my special friend and I'll make sure your book is in my<BR>

library! :) ga<BR>

Authoress4: at our public library we also rely heavily on patron<BR>

suggestions, ga<BR>

WriterBabe: Do you all go to conferences, meet authors, etc.?  GA<BR>

CT Booky: I do because I'm also a writer. ga<BR>

WriterBabe: How about you, Jessica and Diane?<BR>

Authoress4: ditto, becky, I belong to scbwi and feel I'm at conferences more<BR>

as a writer but there's definitely crossover :-), ga<BR>

OtterBabe3: Definitely as they are one of the best ways to learn about what<BR>

is new. Ohio State University sponsors a great Children's Literature<BR>

Conference each year. I learn so much there. I also go to ALA, whenever I<BR>

can. ga<BR>

WriterBabe: Great!<BR>

WriterBabe: Which review media do you respect the most?  GA<BR>

Authoress4: probably SLJ<BR>

Authoress4: GA<BR>

WriterBabe: Diane and Becky?  GA<BR>

OtterBabe3: I look at everything I can get my hands on. Use SLJ, Booklist &<BR>

Horn Book regularly. Also look at Book Link for curricular ideas.<BR>

OtterBabe3: ga<BR>

CT Booky: Booklist, SLJ, Horn Book as well. ga<BR>

WriterBabe: Thanks.<BR>

CT Booky: Also Publisher's Weekly.ga<BR>

WriterBabe: How do you "sell" a book to kids?  How do you match a book with<BR>

a child?  GA<BR>

OtterBabe3: I also look for local info on authors in our area. ga<BR>

Authoress4: in my experience the librarian is often the last person kids<BR>

take recommendations from, LOL<BR>

Authoress4: but that's more one-on-one, not talking about through book talks<BR>

WriterBabe: Oh, dear.  Really?<BR>

Authoress4: some are very turned off to reading, they're there to see the<BR>

accelerated reading list for school...<BR>

OtterBabe3: I start by asking them to tell me the title of the last book<BR>

they really enjoyed. Then I try to find a match based on my knowledge of<BR>

literature.<BR>

Authoress4: or because Mom wants them to read more<BR>

Authoress4: yes, I agree, Otter, asking what they've read recently and liked<BR>

works well, GA<BR>

WriterBabe: Actually, I wouldn't take advice from my librarian either when I<BR>

was a kid--she kept trying to get me to read horse stories.  I was totally<BR>

uninterested.  LOL<BR>

CT Booky: Ditto. ga<BR>

CT Booky: About asking what they like. ga<BR>

WriterBabe: How do you work with the community to promote reading?  GA<BR>

Authoress4: some books are just tough sells, no matter how many awards they<BR>

earnex<BR>

Authoress4: ga<BR>

OtterBabe3: I love books so much that I find myself "selling books" very<BR>

easily.<BR>

OtterBabe3: I try to find connections and the best in every book.<BR>

Authoress4: we prepare subject bibliographies on common topics and that<BR>

helps computer shy people locate books<BR>

OtterBabe3: ga<BR>

WriterBabe: Let me get back to the easy and tough sells a moment (jumped the<BR>

gun on myself).<BR>

WriterBabe: Which books are easy sells these days?  GA<BR>

OtterBabe3: I do booktalks, booklists, displays, tuck special bookmarks in<BR>

books, have book fairs too. ga<BR>

CT Booky: Anything remotely to do with Harry Potter. :) ga<BR>

WriterBabe: Why am I not surprised, Becky?  :-><BR>

Authoress4: well, anything by Paula Danziger is an easy sell <g><BR>

OtterBabe3: Any book that tells a good story.<BR>

WriterBabe: Hey, Paula, you hear that?<BR>

Authoress4: Amber Brown, very popular<BR>

Authoress4: girls ask for Snail Mail No More, etc.<BR>

WriterBabe: Whoohoo!  Excellent!<BR>

Authoress4: way to go, Paula!<BR>

Pauladanz: yup....thanks<BR>

OtterBabe3: My students love Margaret Peterson Haddix.<BR>

CT Booky: Series books are always popular.  We can't keep Magic Treehouse on<BR>

the shelves, or Captain Underpants.<BR>

Authoress4: our kids love the Dear America series, captain underpants,<BR>

lemony snicket<BR>

WriterBabe: Because she's not only good, but also from Ohio, Diane?<BR>

Authoress4: oh, yes, magic tree house, very big<BR>

OtterBabe3: Having a book fair today. Was there till 8:15 p.m. and last book<BR>

sold was I Am Amber.<BR>

Authoress4: kevin henkes has a small but loyal following<BR>

OtterBabe3: Both Marilyn. But they just love her books.<BR>

Authoress4: I just read What a Trip, Amber Brown, very cute<BR>

WriterBabe: What kinds of books are tough sells?  GA<BR>

OtterBabe3: But Joan Holub's Haunted States of America is a big hit with my<BR>

group now!<BR>

Authoress4: anything with a "literary" look, I know that's nebulous, but sad<BR>

to say even Cynthia Rylant<BR>

WriterBabe: Go, Joan!<BR>

CT Booky: Yeah, covers have a lot of influence.<BR>

Authoress4: boys don't like girl books, surprise surprise<BR>

JOANWRITE: (Hooray!)<BR>

CT Booky: Anything thick.<BR>

Authoress4: kids want short books, they wait too long for school<BR>

assignments, another big surprise<BR>

WriterBabe: Except for Harry Potter.<BR>

OtterBabe3: Covers do have a lot of influence. But that's when I start<BR>

talking about the story. :-)<BR>

WriterBabe: Well, I have many more questions to ask, but I'd better give the<BR>

audience a shot.<BR>

WriterBabe: Folks, I'm opening this to you.<BR>

Authoress4: as far as market gaps, if I may, it's very hard to find books in<BR>

between easy reader and beginning chapter books<BR>

Authoress4: GA<BR>

WriterBabe: Start typing ? or !<BR>

WriterBabe: I don't think there are books in between easy reader and<BR>

beginning chapter books, Jessica.<BR>

WriterBabe: Do we need a new genre?<BR>

Authoress4: yes!  we need more Amber Browns at the What a Trip level,<BR>

perfect<BR>

Pauladanz: !<BR>

WriterBabe: Paula, go ahead.<BR>

Pauladanz: thanks....two more coming in the spring<BR>

OtterBabe3: Oh, hot news. I love it!<BR>

Authoress4: :-)))))<BR>

WriterBabe: Paula, wouldn't you call the Amber Browns chapter books?<BR>

RoxyanneY: ?<BR>

WriterBabe: GA<BR>

WriterBabe: Paula?<BR>

Pauladanz: the later ones yes....the A is for Ambers are easy to reads<BR>

WriterBabe: Okay.<BR>

WriterBabe: Roxy, your turn.<BR>

Authoress4: it's confusing sometimes to know what kids mean when they ask<BR>

for chapter books, GA<BR>

RoxyanneY: How has your purchasing budget been affected by the lagging<BR>

economy, and how has this influenced the purchasing and promotion decisions<BR>

you make in regard to the titles you choose for storytimes, etc?  GA<BR>

OtterBabe3: Funny you should ask.<BR>

OtterBabe3: I just calculated my book budget at $8.27 per student and was<BR>

feeling so bad. Then I talked to a high school librarian who has a $700 for<BR>

the year! For books! Awful!<BR>

RoxyanneY: (Are quiet books being moved down the Buy list in favor of books<BR>

that will be more crowd pleasers?)<BR>

WriterBabe: That's terrible!<BR>

OtterBabe3: She told me her school spends more on office supplies!<BR>

WriterBabe: Jessica, how about your library?  GA<BR>

OtterBabe3: She is in another school district in our county. ga<BR>

Authoress4: our bldg is barely a year old, so we have a healthy budget but<BR>

that will<BR>

Authoress4: change as more new libraries are built in our district<BR>

Authoress4: at the risk of having my two colleagues throw cyber tomatoes at<BR>

me...<BR>

Authoress4: I'd have to say we're rich, LOL<BR>

WriterBabe: Rich is good!  Becky, any take on the budget in your library?<BR>

WriterBabe: GA<BR>

CT Booky: Our library is in an affluent area, and ALL our materials are<BR>

purchased by patron contributions.  I think we're unique in that respect.  I<BR>

know we're buying less than in the past, but we keep up with what our patrons<BR>

want pretty<BR>

CT Booky: well. ga<BR>

OtterBabe3: There is an article in the latest SLJ regarding more $ for<BR>

technology & less for books. Depressing. ga<BR>

WriterBabe: Yes, that's happening in the Brooklyn library system, I know.<BR>

Authoress4: yes, pressure's on to buy DVDs now, ga<BR>

CT Booky: We have 11 computers in our children's room alone.<BR>

WriterBabe: DVDs?  Movies?  GA<BR>

OtterBabe3: You bet.<BR>

OtterBabe3: Even in schools!<BR>

WriterBabe: Sigh.<BR>

Authoress4: we have five catalog computers, four internet stations and four<BR>

CD-ROM computers<BR>

Authoress4: ga<BR>

OtterBabe3: I have 50 computers in my library and 4 catalog computers.<BR>

WriterBabe: What are we poor authors to do?  GA<BR>

CT Booky: We circulate CD-ROMs, too.<BR>

Authoress4: our CD-ROMs are always checked out<BR>

FrancoBe: ?<BR>

WriterBabe: Betsy, go ahead.<BR>

FrancoBe: Can we talk some more about gaps in subject matter and genres and<BR>

difficulty levels?<BR>

OtterBabe3: All 50 have Internet access but are 6 years old and not able to<BR>

keep up with technology. ga<BR>

WriterBabe: Sure, what do you want to ask about that, Betsy?  GA<BR>

FrancoBe: Any subjects for picture book age that missing?<BR>

OtterBabe3: Yes, I am looking for biographies that are appealing and<BR>

appropriate for middle school and more than 128 pages.<BR>

Authoress4: there's never enough train books, truck books, dinosaur books<BR>

Authoress4: and early chapter books, as I mentioned before, GA<BR>

CT Booky: I just had someone looking for a book for her kindergartener who<BR>

is too shy to talk in class.<BR>

WriterBabe: Really, Jessica?  I think publishers think there are enough of<BR>

those.<BR>

OtterBabe3: Yes, I have middle school students who want books on trucks and<BR>

cars too.<BR>

CT Booky: I agree with Jessica.<BR>

Authoress4: there's a gap for, I would guess, the average third grade<BR>

reader, you think, becky?<BR>

Authoress4: just a big gaping hole<BR>

Authoress4: lots of preschool boys want things that go!<BR>

WriterBabe: Interesting.  8-year-olds.<BR>

CT Booky: I think you're right.  I also think there's a gap for books for<BR>

boys in that early elementary group.<BR>

OtterBabe3: Very true from my public library experience. So many series for<BR>

that age.<BR>

Authoress4: historical fiction is very popular, and all kinds of series<BR>

Authoress4: fantasy, along the lines of magic tree house, ga<BR>

CT Booky: We don't have a lot of historical fiction for the early chapter<BR>

book readers.<BR>

WriterBabe: This is fascinating!<BR>

Authoress4: also seventh grade boys who don't like to read. there's nobody<BR>

like gary paulsen, we need to clone him<BR>

CT Booky: One boy wanted a book about tattoos.<BR>

OtterBabe3: Very trendy tastes in the middle school.<BR>

CT Booky: Will Hobbs!<BR>

Authoress4: it'd be great to have more books that could compete with some of<BR>

the TV tie-ins...<BR>

Authoress4: (yes, Hobbs!)<BR>

OtterBabe3: Will Hobbs visited our school and was fantastic!<BR>

Authoress4: clifford is big, so is Arthur, Mary Kate & Ashley, ga<BR>

CT Booky: Ugh, we avoid those as much as possible.<BR>

Authoress4: i know, but it's all some kids will read<BR>

WriterBabe: More questions, folks?<BR>

OtterBabe3: Just keep them reading - it's so important.<BR>

OtterBabe3: Many respond to books on tape.<BR>

Pauladanz: !<BR>

WriterBabe: Paula, go ahead.<BR>

Pauladanz: i like arthur, why avoid him?<BR>

CT Booky: We don't avoid him, but there's so many other good books, too.<BR>

Authoress4: i just meant he's popular, we could use more books along those<BR>

lines<BR>

CT Booky: There are so many good books, I mean.<BR>

OtterBabe3: Remember Arthur was a book before a TV icon.<BR>

Authoress4: in other words kids have trouble finding anything else<BR>

OtterBabe3: And books are always better.<BR>

Authoress4: they want "books like" such and such and there aren't any<BR>

RoxyanneY: ?<BR>

CT Booky: Parents always want their kids to read what they read when they<BR>

were kids.<BR>

CT Booky: Bo-ring!<BR>

Authoress4: yes, becky, usually goes over like a lead balloon, huh? <g><BR>

Authoress4: GA<BR>

WriterBabe: You've mentioned many well-known books and authors.  How can you<BR>

get kids to read lesser known books?  GA<BR>

OtterBabe3: I found that you also have to "sell" new books to the parent<BR>

audience.<BR>

OtterBabe3: Promote, promote, promote Marilyn.<BR>

Authoress4: some kids are very receptive to suggestion, but our kids read<BR>

off the accelerated reading list their schools use so that's a main focus for<BR>

them<BR>

Authoress4: sad to say, many are only interested in point value, and finding<BR>

the shortest book<BR>

Authoress4: ga<BR>

OtterBabe3: You have to know the books yourself and share the essence with<BR>

the kids.<BR>

Neely f: <>?><?<><?><<> 15 MINUTE WARNING ?><>?<><?><?><><<BR>

CT Booky: We have lots of reading lists and bibliographies in a binder that<BR>

we refer people to when they're searching for good reads.<BR>

OtterBabe3: So glad we did not go the AR route.<BR>

Authoress4: yes, we do too, and people use the bibs a lot, ga<BR>

WriterBabe: Meaning, Diane?  What kind of promotion works?  GA<BR>

Authoress4: yeah, I've got a bad attitude about AR, in case you can't tell,<BR>

LOL, ga<BR>

WriterBabe: And what is the AR route?  GA<BR>

OtterBabe3: Give them the personal touch. Know the books and talk about<BR>

them. AR =Accelerated REader.<BR>

MaryCronk: (I'd love to hear pros & cons of AR  my kids just got it this<BR>

year in school)<BR>

Authoress4: i'm sure there's pros, at least they're reading, many of the<BR>

books are classics<BR>

CT Booky: I lead a book discussion group for 3rd-5th graders and 6th-8th<BR>

graders.  We present all the new books we get in and booktalk them.  The kids<BR>

are very enthusiastic about the new books and fight over them!<BR>

OtterBabe3: There are many articles written about it. It is quite expensive.<BR>

Authoress4: but so many kids seem focused on points rather than finding a<BR>

book they'll like<BR>

OtterBabe3: Yes, that's the way Becky. Booktalks do it every time.<BR>

Authoress4: yes, new books are sometimes an easy sell just because they're<BR>

new, ga<BR>

WriterBabe: I don't know what Accelerated Reader is.  Can you explain<BR>

briefly to us?  GA<BR>

Authoress4: i'm probably not the best person, should defer to a school<BR>

librarian...? ga<BR>

OtterBabe3: I call it Weight Watchers for Reading. (Sorry)<BR>

CT Booky: lol<BR>

Authoress4: LOL<BR>

WriterBabe: Oh, my!<BR>

OtterBabe3: There are lists of specific books that students must read to<BR>

earn points.<BR>

PBRwriter: ?<BR>

WriterBabe: And what happens with the points?  GA<BR>

CT Booky: The more challenging the book, the higher the point value.<BR>

Pauladanz: !<BR>

Authoress4: then they take a computer test, right? and if they pass the test<BR>

they earn points<BR>

Authoress4: some schools use the points to award special privileges to the<BR>

kids<BR>

Authoress4: your basic operant conditioning<BR>

Authoress4: GA<BR>

OtterBabe3: Yes, there are rewards but no reward for enjoying a good book.<BR>

WriterBabe: Ah.<BR>

WriterBabe: Roxy, you have a question.<BR>

RoxyanneY: I have really nostalgic feelings toward libraries - the library<BR>

in my home town was one of those ancient buildings with creaky wooden floors<BR>

and it smelled like a library is supposed to smell<BR>

OtterBabe3: Sorry, I'm showing my bias here.<BR>

RoxyanneY: (books, books, books, and just a hint of lemon Pledge), but my<BR>

local branch is is all glass and chrome and the architecture is very angular<BR>

and when I walk in, it feels more like a community<BR>

RoxyanneY: rec center with scads of computers (work stations and checkout<BR>

stations like you described before) and local school art projects at the<BR>

entrance that you have to get past to find the books,<BR>

SarahStNy: Isn't that wat education is about now d?ays<BR>

RoxyanneY: and those are on metal shelving - sort of cold and not really<BR>

inviting me to curl up and read within these walls. What sort of physical<BR>

changes do you see in your libraries, and how do you keep your space<BR>

"feeling" like a library?<BR>

RoxyanneY: ga<BR>

Authoress4: our public library is just over a year old. we have bright<BR>

colors in the kids dept,<BR>

Authoress4: floor cushions, a puppet stage.  we have two fireplaces in the<BR>

library<BR>

Authoress4: and a quiet reading room with couches and chairs.<BR>

Authoress4: it's modern but still warm.  oh, yeah, and an outdoor reading<BR>

deck, my fav! GA<BR>

RoxyanneY: (oh, I'm melting at the thought of a fireplace in my library - it<BR>

would be hard to leave)<BR>

WriterBabe: It sounds divine!<BR>

Authoress4: it is!!  GA<BR>

CT Booky: Our magazine room has comfy chairs, a window seat, and a<BR>

fireplace.<BR>

Neely f: @^@(^@(^(@^(@^@(^@  7 MINUTE WARNING  @^*@^*@@^*@^@^^@<BR>

OtterBabe3: My school and library was renovated six years ago but I was not<BR>

there at the time. It is too sterile for my taste but I try to provide bean<BR>

bags for a cozy area. We're really taken over by computers.<BR>

MaryCronk: !?<BR>

WriterBabe: Thanks.  Pam, you're next.<BR>

PBRwriter: Since the mass market series titles are not often reviewed, how<BR>

do you select what to buy for your patrons?<BR>

PBRwriter: What journals do you read to decide where your $ goes for the<BR>

"literary" books?<BR>

OtterBabe3: I love to display student-created projects to warm things up.<BR>

CT Booky: The children's room has colorful carpeting and matching chairs.<BR>

Our picture book area is "corralled" by shelves to set it off from the<BR>

computers.  We have a puzzle table and rocking horse, stuffed toys and soft<BR>

chairs for parents<BR>

CT Booky: to cuddle with their tots.<BR>

PBRwriter: Thanks- Pamela- GA<BR>

WriterBabe: Pam, I believe that was answered earlier--SLJ, Booklist, Horn<BR>

Book.<BR>

WriterBabe: Correct, gals?  GA<BR>

OtterBabe3: Ditto<BR>

Authoress4: yes, ga<BR>

Authoress4: PW<BR>

Authoress4: ga<BR>

PBRwriter: (Oops) But do negative reviews translate into non-purchases?<BR>

CT Booky: Pretty much.<BR>

CT Booky: Unless someone requests it.  Or we really like the author.<BR>

OtterBabe3: Not always. I look at several sources. Also consider curriculum<BR>

needs too.<BR>

Authoress4: not necessarily, depends on need, I always regard reviews as one<BR>

person's opinion, GA<BR>

WriterBabe: What about conflicting reviews--and I mean wildly conflicting?<BR>

GA<BR>

Authoress4: we consider the need if it's non fiction.  GA<BR>

CT Booky: We consider the subject matter and the author.<BR>

WriterBabe: GA?<BR>

Authoress4: some series we have a standing order in our district, GA<BR>

PBRwriter: So it pays to be friendly with your local librarians. THANKS<BR>

OtterBabe3: I question the reviewer. Often I buy the book myself and decide<BR>

if it is questionable but I really think it might be good for our collection.<BR>

OtterBabe3: :-) Send us those pre-pub copies.<BR>

WriterBabe: Paula, you have a comment.<BR>

Authoress4: we also go to bookstores a  lot to see for ourselves, ga<BR>

Pauladanz: it's ok....about AR....just that i think it's awful<BR>

OtterBabe3: Thanks Paula!<BR>

WriterBabe: Okay.  Last question, Mary.<BR>

MaryCronk: I'm really steamed because when my kids go to the library, the<BR>

first thing they do is go to the computer to look up an author they like, or<BR>

subject or specific title.  Browsing the shelves was my way of picking a<BR>

book.  <BR>

Neely f: -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- 3 MINUTE WARNING -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-<BR>

MaryCronk: Any suggestions for getting them to actually go to the shelves<BR>

and look at books???<BR>

WriterBabe: So, the fine art of browsing is disappearing.<BR>

Authoress4: browsing is alive and well in our library.  I'm glad your kids<BR>

know how to use the catalog :-)<BR>

MaryCronk: They sure do!<BR>

CT Booky: Does your library put up displays?<BR>

Authoress4: people have less time to browse but it still works, GA<BR>

OtterBabe3: I put the books on top of the shelves to draw them in.<BR>

MaryCronk: They walk right by displays.<BR>

Authoress4: yes, we do very attractive displays of books and we also have<BR>

local citizens display things like doll collections and trains, ga<BR>

Authoress4: put up a sign that says BANNED BOOKS, gets their attention every<BR>

time, LOL, ga<BR>

WriterBabe: Well, we're about out of time.  Any final thoughts, librarians?<BR>

GA<BR>

OtterBabe3: There are some great resources by Gale. What do young adults<BR>

read next?, etc. Very helpful in getting readers to find new authors, books.<BR>

CT Booky: LOL<BR>

Catalyst8: Hi all!<BR>

Authoress4: yes, don't hesitate to ask your friendly librarian about market<BR>

gaps she sees...<BR>

Authoress4: there's lots of books that need writing!<BR>

OtterBabe3: Just keep writing the good stuff so I can stay in business! I<BR>

love my job!<BR>

CT Booky: Me too!<BR>

WriterBabe: Thank you so much for a really enlightening and lively chat!<BR>

Authoress4: me three!<BR>

Authoress4: thank you!<BR>

WriterBabe: I hope you'll do it again because we've got plenty more<BR>

questions!<BR>

WriterBabe: A round of applause, folks!<BR>

OtterBabe3: Thanks for the invitation - you are always a great group!<BR>

Pete n Gun: Thanks guests!<BR>

CT Booky: Thanks for asking us.<BR>

Authoress4: any time<BR>

CGaley: Thanks all you librarians!<BR>

RoxyanneY: Bravo, everyone.<BR>

Corrielb: Thanks!<BR>

MaryCronk: Thanks!<BR>

Pauladanz: librarians are great?<BR>

Neely f: )()()()()()()()()()) CLAPPING ()()()()()()()()()()()(<BR>

WriterBabe: They are great!<BR>

Pauladanz: that was an !!!!!!!<BR>

PBRwriter: Thanks for talking to us. (And p.s people don't whisper in my<BR>

local library. Those were the days..) Thanks for coming by.<BR>

WriterBabe: Next week our guest will be author/editor Amy Ehrlich of<BR>

Candlewick.  See you all then!<BR>

JOANWRITE: Thank you librarians<BR>

WriterBabe: Night!<BR>

CT Booky: Mine either, PB.<BR>

<BR>

END<BR>

</FONT></HTML>


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOTTOM LIVE script

Fawlty Towers script for "A Touch of Class"