EARTHEN VESSELS -- THE JARS OF CLAY NEWSLETTER vol 4

****************************************************************************
*                                                                          *
*              EARTHEN VESSELS -- THE JARS OF CLAY NEWSLETTER              *
*                                                                          *
****************************************************************************
*                                                                          *
*               BACK ISSUES COURTESY OF ANDY LOWELL, EDITOR                *
*                                                                          *
****************************************************************************
*                                                                          *
*  EARTHEN VESSELS IS PUBLISHED VIA E-MAIL ONLY AND IS AVAILABLE FREE OF   *
*  CHARGE VIA THE INTERNET BY E-MAILING EARTHPOTS@AOL.COM AND REQUESTING   *
*                            YOUR SUBSCRIPTION                             *
*                                                                          *
****************************************************************************


                                       E A R T H E N    V E S S E L S 
                                    The Official Jars of Clay Email News
                                                       Volume 4

CONTENTS:
*Introduction
*On the Charts
*Concert Review: Cafe Milano 8/12/95
*Details from Charlie
*Changed Souls
*The Elusive Editor, Earthpots
*Jars www site
*Exciting News Brief #1
*Even More Exciting News Brief #2
*The Clayjars Account
*Worlds Apart Ad-lib
*An Encouraging Letter
*Liquid Chants
*Prayer Requests



*******************************************************************************************************

*Introduction:
Well, many new exciting things happening here!  We have a www site now for
back issues for those interested. We also have over 260 subscribers now,
growing fast. Welcome aboard all you new members! :)  Yesterday alone I heard
from 22 new people! Let's see...we're looking for a logo to begin each
newsletter, if any of you can help please let me know. I'm referring to the
ones made up of lines and letters. I was thinking a Jar with something
written on it would be neat, but we're open to any ideas! 
Also, sorry it's been a while since the last issue. There is a lot of news to
tell about so I'll wait no longer!  I've been waiting to hear from people in
hopes of some concert reviews, opinions, etc. so everyone feel free to write!
It would probably make the newsletter more interesting. Thanks to all of you
for your prayers especially. I know there are many people out there praying
for the guys, and they need it more than ever. Well, for the latest news,
read on!


*******************************************************************************************************

*On the Charts (special thanks to Mark Smeby for all this info!):

Week of August 7th:
 CHR Update chart action-  LoveSong moves from 11 to 7 in its 3rd week.  The
three hot songs above it right now are #3- The Grace of God- PFR, #4- Blessed
Be the Name- Brent Bourgeois, and #5 (up from #17) Inside Out, Upside Down-
Charlie Peacock..who just ruptured his spleen, by the way.

AC- Love Song drops from 35 to 36 although gaining 1.32 points...we'll see.

The album is still #2 on the Christian Retail Top-Selling albums...


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Week of August 14th:
CCM Update begins a new system of radio charts that tracks the numbers of
plays each song gets, as well as the number of points...

So...for the Aug. 14th issue...CHR chart..Jars have the number 2 song with
Love Song...up from #7 last week...although it is ranked #1 in number of
plays with 333.  Believe it or not...PFR jumps up to number one with The
Grace of God...which is actually the first song that Mark Nash has written
on...!

On the larger AC chart...Love Song is ranked #35...up one from #36 last
week...with 114 spins on radio this week...for a reference point...the #1 AC
song Morgan Cryar's "If I Never See A Miracle" had 590 plays this week.

Album news...Jars finally drops to #4 on the Christian Retail chart due to
great debuts by Out of the Grey's Gravity at #2 and Rich Mullins' Brother's
Keeper at #3.  My Utmost is still #1...of course.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CCM Update for 8/21/95:

AC- LoveSong- up another spot to #34...although they are #29 in airplay.
CHR-  LoveSong stays at #2 behind PFR for a second week.  It'll be close next
week I'm sure...
Christian Retail album sales...Jars jumps back to #3
1- My Utmost
2- Gravity
3- Jars


*******************************************************************************************************

*Concert Review: Cafe Milano 8/12/95:

Yes...last night's show was incredible.  Of course I'm partial...but the guys
really presented a very mature, sophisticated sound and style that was new.
As if all their touring is turning them more into who they are...Understand?
They did two shows in an incredibly hot, packed room.  It was acoustic,
yes...and really they did very little talking...letting the music speak the
volumes that we all know it does...

They went through most of the album...and tossed in "Strong Coffee" and "Fade
to Grey"... in their acoustic version.  Cool... times ten.

For the "encore" they did Bourgeois Tagg's "I Don't Mind At All" and some
Nightingale song that I've never heard...[Toad the Wet Sprocket's
"Nightingale Song" - Ed.]

The set had a great flow to it...and many songs had new arrangements that
made some of them fit really well together...often blending a couple of songs
into one.  You'll have to get details from Char...as I'm not in official
reviewer mode...

Their harmonies were extremely tight...James did great on sound...  It was
great fun.  I think the audience was pretty mesmerized the whole time...cool.


*******************************************************************************************************
Details from Charlie: These writings are excerpts from a letter Charlie wrote
to me a week or so ago. Thought they'd supplement the letter well. Enjoy!

" Tonite we drive to Texas, and we'll be gone all week, except we're coming
back briefly Thursday evening because Mancy is singing at Cafe Milano with
Stephen Leiweke and some other Greenville grad's.  Sarah Jahn just finished
mixing her new demo (8 songs) which is very good.  She's being heavily
courted.  The song "Brand New Name" that I wrote with her is on it and it
sounds great.  I know Forefront/Ardent, REX, Benson, Warner Alliance, and
Essential are all interested in her.  We just had two good shows at Caffe
Milano last Friday.  Both shows were sold out, and the manager said it was
the best concert attendance he ever had there.  A lot of our friends came out
to watch us, as well as our pastor Scotty, and Mike Tait.  It was a lot of
fun.  We're doing "Blind" acoustic now, as well as "Liquid"- kind of a
slower, groove (almost reggae) version.  The guy doing our CD Rom was there
with video camera in hand, so I hope some of it appears on the ROM.  We
played a show outside of Atlanta this past week (with Third Day) and Robert
Beeson met us there with a guy from Silvertone Records, which is Zomba's
alternative label.  They are very interested in us and are planning to
release the album mainstream at the first of the new year.  They also want to
release "Flood" to radio and video to VH1.  Pretty exciting stuff, but it
makes us all cautiously nervous.  We sought the counsel of Pastor Smith last
night over dinner, which was so helpful.  He's very wise in issues of
music/art vs. ministry, and being the salt of the earth.  I look up to him so
much.  It's an honor to be taught by him, and he's kind of taking us under
his wing and offering himself to us as a counselor."


*******************************************************************************************************

*Changed Souls:
This message was taken from the Jars folder on AOL, it was
quite encouraging to read it!
Subj:  Re:Concert at LifeWeek95
Date:  95-08-06 18:46:27 EDT
From:  Kriket10

  You were so awesome at LifeWeek.  Thank-you so much for coming.  You
convinced a friend of mine that Christians can have fun too, and later at the
invatation, he made Christ Lord of his life.  Thank-you so much!!!


*******************************************************************************************************

*The Elusive Editor:

Hello to all, I am the editor of this newsletter, and have been pleasantly
bombarded recently, due to new people asking for subscriptions!  Also, many
people are asking me who I am and WHY I would do a thing like this for the
band, investing my time and energy for a few hundred people on internet. So,
I owe you all an explanation! :)  I am Charlie's older brother (he plays
keyboards for those who don't remember) and I really believe in what these
guys are doing. In the past, I have been let down by artists "in the
limelight", which was my fault for putting them on pedastals to begin with.
But I really believe that the guys in Jars have hearts for God and that their
sole purpose is to declare His word, and I believe they won't deviate from
doing so.  It has been quite exciting to see the growing popularity of their
album and therefore their ministry, and I'm glad to be a tiny part of it.
A few quick words about myself for those wondering:
I'm getting married June 29, 1996!! To Kristin Clark, my best friend (after
Jesus). Please pray for us! 
 I was previously in a Master's program for Biological Oceanography here but
through a number of circumstances the Lord led me through quite a career
change. (I went to Houghton College for undergrad- <shameless plug>  I hope
to be a publicist/manager for CCM bands or a talent agent, possibly somewhere
in New England.
 I want to thank you all for your encouragement and questions, I appreciate
your interest and support!


*******************************************************************************************************

*Jars WWW Site!
There have been many people inquiring about a Jars of Clay site on the World
Wide Web. Good news - there is now a site that has been offerred by an
Earthen Vessels subscriber. Actually, many people have offerred to have one
but we decided on this one for a number of reasons.
Unfortunately, we cannot call this an "official" Jars www site...this is only
because Essential Records may have their own site soon, and they have all the
rights to the Jars stuff. It will be an official Earthen Vessels site though-
meaning you can find all of the back issues and an updated FAQ for
downloading. This also means you won't have to bug your editor :) and wait
weeks for him to send you back issues. The site is at:
www.grfn.org/~qwerty/jarsofclay  -Please visit the site and let me know what
you
think- your input is needed! Thanks to Steve Carlson for volunteering his
time and efforts for the site.


*******************************************************************************************************

*Exciting News Brief #1:
Jars are to be featured on the cover of CCM magazine for the October issue!
It will be an issue focusing on the new bands in Christian music and Jars
will be the "headliner" article. We can all look forward to reading more
about how ministry is going for the guys when the issue comes out, so watch
for it!


*******************************************************************************************************

*Even More Exciting News Brief #2:
It has recently been announced that Jars of Clay will be touring with none
other than Michael W. Smith for his upcoming world tour in 1996!  "WOW" is
all I have to say. Please pray for them as God prepares them for an
incredible ministry potential. They have been invited along for all three
legs of the tour, 40 dates each. For now, they have decided to start with the
first one in February and see how it goes. They will be playing for 8-12,000
people per night. They are working on finding a bassist and possibly another
instrumentalist to play violin/fiddle, and are also saving up for more
equipment. The tour with PFR this fall is still on, of course, so chances are
you'll all be able to see the show somewhere! A busy year ahead...


*******************************************************************************************************

*The Clayjars Account:
Many people have been inquiring as to the existence of the Clayjars email
account, as listed in the newsletter and in the latest CCM magazine. This is,
in fact, an account that reaches Jars of Clay themselves. Any mail sent there
will be read by them. Unfortunately, however, they have not had a chance to
respond to many of the messages sent there. Please forgive them for this,
they have told me they're sorry but things are far too busy for them at the
moment to answer the "Flood" of mail they've received. They do thank you for
all the support though, and you should feel free to write them anytime. Also,
they read this newsletter, so anything sent to me for inclusion will be read
by them as well as  everyone else. In fact, I have been in need of some
comments/reviews/opinions/prayer requests/etc. from all of the subscribers,
so please write a message if you feel that anything in particular is on your
heart! Thanks.


*******************************************************************************************************

*Worlds Apart Ad-lib:

 The following is the ad-lib
that Dan sings in the bridge section of "World's Apart".  A few of you have
requested this- sorry it took so long.

"I look beyond the empty cross
forgetting what my life has cost
and wipe away the crimson stains
and dullen nails that still remains.
More and more I need you now,
I owe you more each passing hour
the battle between grace and pride
I gave up not so long ago
So steal my heart and take the pain
and wash the feet and cleanse my pride
take the selfish, take the weak,
and all the things I cannot hide
take the beauty, take my tears
the sin-soaked heart and make it yours
take my world all apart
take it now, take it now
and serve the ones that I despise
speak the words I can't deny
watch the world I used to love
fall to dust and thrown away
I look beyond the empty cross
forgetting what my life has cost
so wipe away the crimson stains
and dullen nails that still remains
so steal my heart and take the pain
take the selfish, take the weak
and all the things I cannot hide
take the beauty, take my tears
take my world apart, take my world apart
I pray, I pray, I pray
    "take my world apart"


*******************************************************************************************************

*An encouraging letter: The following letter was written to Matt Odmark
(guitar, bgv) by one of our subscribers. Thanks Philip!
From: pchung@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (Philip Chung)
To: Odie74@aol.com

Matt,

Greetings from your neighbor to the north (ie. Canada) - Edmonton,
Alberta to be exact.  I just wanted to write and say that I picked up the
Jars of Clay CD a couple of weeks ago, and have enjoyed it greatly.  Your
sound is very unique.  I love all of the work with the acoustic guitars
but also the arrangements involving the violins and cello were great. 
Most of all, though, your lyrics cause me to think about my faith and
where it's at.  The song "Sinking" perfectly captures the human tendency
to want to do things ourselves, but at the same time shows that GOD, in
His great mercy chooses to see through that to the true need that we have
deep within.  It sure describes how I feel at times.  There are still
some lines that I'm having trouble with though.  I don't think I'm
grasping the entire meaning conveyed in "Art in Me".  I'd appreciate it
if you could tell me what it means and what caused you guys to write
this. 

I think my favorite track is "Like a Child" because this one song seems
to summarize what true faith can do.

I also have subscribed to your JoC newsletter which I have enjoyed so
far.  I especially enjoyed your article about seeing the power of GOD in
things He has created.  I know that sometimes I get so caught up in the
endless cycle of daily life (which usually consists of manmade things)
that I overlook GOD's creation - especially nature.  I guess it doesn't
help when you live in a large city.  Still, I do greatly appreciate what
GOD has given us - which shows yet another aspect of His mercy and
generosity!  I hope that you guys continue to share your thoughts with
all us fellow believers out here.

Congrats on the rave reviews you guys have been getting, and the success
of your released songs on the charts.  I know it probably doesn't mean
that much to you to recieve all of these accolades, but maybe it's a way
God is using your musical gifts to reach people.  I hope that many more
people will pick up your album - I've already recommended it to several
of my friends:-)

In the newsletter your concert dates are listed.  Do you have any plans
on coming up north to Canada?  I'd love to hear your guys' version of
"Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer":-)

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my two cents with you.  Hope to hear
from you whenever you can find the time (although I know you guys are
probably busy and going on the road).  GOD bless you guys!

Your Brother in Christ,
Phil Chung (pchung@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca)


*******************************************************************************************************

*Liquid Chants: What does the chant in Liquid mean? Let's hear all of your
ideas!  :) Here's a bunch from our subscribers:
From: qwerty@grfn.ORG (Steve Carlson)
To: Earthpots@aol.com

You know, one of the questions in there was about the chants on
"Liquid", and I had a thought on those myself.  I was thinking (and I'm
sure I'm wrong) that the second half of the chat sounds JUST LIKE the words
of Christ, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani", meaning "My God, My God, why
have you forsaken me?"  I am sure I'm wrong, but if you listen to it, it
sounds a LOT like that...  Isn't that odd?  Since the song is about the
crucifixion, I thought that would be appropriate.  What do you think?


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subj:  CHANT
Date:  95-07-20 16:11:34 EDT
From:  PSALMS425

If you were going to put in a latin chant, knowing full well you had no clue
what was being said, why not something like, "Buy more Jars records," or, "We
can pin M.W. Smith 2 out of 3 falls?"
Peace,
Tom


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subj:  CHANT
Date:  95-07-20 14:49:15 EDT
From:  ChrisM333
 I THINK I HAVE DECIPHERED THE CHANT,
being the Latin scholar that I am (yeah right) I listened and listened and
listened.. Finally after much grueling work, I came up with this:

OMNI REDITE  MUNDA, PITUITA ET OMNI

which means: everything returns to the Earth, phlegm and all :) (really!)

 which reminds me of the verse in Job "Naked I came from my mother's womb,
and naked I shall return" (job 1:21)


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subj: chant
Date:  95-07-21 10:56:59 EDT
From:  StephenMo

and.....sorry all, the chant directly translated says "wow, that crowd at our
concert at Messiah college was great.  i wish we could go back."


*******************************************************************************************************

*Prayer Requests:

In particular, there are many subscribers who are returning to college this
month. Please pray for all of them, that they would seek God's will for their
lives at this crucial time. Here is just one (honest) letter from one of
them, there are many more!

From: RSJ Fan
To: Earthpots

Just prayers for my 1st yr of college-I'm nervous! Thanks!


*******************************************************************************************************
END

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOTTOM LIVE script

Fawlty Towers script for "A Touch of Class"