EARTHEN VESSELS -- THE JARS OF CLAY NEWSLETTER vol 6

****************************************************************************
*                                                                          *
*              EARTHEN VESSELS -- THE JARS OF CLAY NEWSLETTER              *
*                                                                          *
****************************************************************************
*                                                                          *
*               BACK ISSUES COURTESY OF ANDY LOWELL, EDITOR                *
*                                                                          *
****************************************************************************
*                                                                          *
*  EARTHEN VESSELS IS PUBLISHED VIA E-MAIL ONLY AND IS AVAILABLE FREE OF   *
*  CHARGE VIA THE INTERNET BY E-MAILING EARTHPOTS@AOL.COM AND REQUESTING   *
*                            YOUR SUBSCRIPTION                             *
*                                                                          *
****************************************************************************


                                       E A R T H E N    V E S S E L S 
                                    The Official Jars of Clay Email News
                                                       Volume 6
                                                     \            /   /
                                                      |          |   |
                                                     / VVVV\    \
                                                    /              \    \
                                                   (_______)__)   }   
     
CONTENTS:
*Introduction
*Message from Scott
*Message from Stephen
*Chart Updates
*Visit our www site
*Jars Sheet Music?
*Questions & Answers
*Foreign Subscribers
*Letter to Jars
*Billboard Chart-surfing
*Prayer Requests
*Like a Child released
*Christmas EP mini-Review
*Concert Review #1
*Concert Review #2
*Concert Review #3
*Concert Review #4
*Concert Review #5


*******************************************************************************************************

*Introduction:

Well, as usual, some more exciting news throughout, as well as many new
subscribers. Let's see...I lost count on how many after 400 last week! :) So,
if you'd like an opinion or review to be seen by this many people, please
send it and I can include it next time. In the news, Jars' disc will be
widely released and promoted in the *secular* market on October 24th. I went
to the local HMV Records and confirmed that they'd have it then!  Prayer is
essential during this time. Thank you all for the support and encouragement
that you've given them. Lives are truly being touched.  The PFR shows are
going well, I have heard from many people since I printed some Earthen
Vessels flyers for the guys to include at the shows. (Hence, the four reviews
at the end!)  Charlie is playing keyboards for PFR throughout the entire
tour, so he's been busy....In other news, check out the latest CCM Cover
feature! "Wow" is all I can say :)  Don't forget to look for the Jars
Christmas EP cd which will be released sometime in the next month. Again, it
will include He (acoustic), Little Drummer Boy (2 versions) and God Rest Ye
Merry Gentlemen.
Your editor (speaking!) will be in Nashville for a few internships over the
next few months, but will still have email access.  The guys have had
increasingly less time to spend with email lately with all the tour stops, so
please understand they may not be able to get back to you, but they look
forward to meeting you all in person on the extensive touring!  I will
attempt to handle your questions!  No further delay, here's the news...


*******************************************************************************************************

*Message from Scott:

Date:  95-09-19 04:33:11 EDT
From: I B ASAV  (formerly IDrumToo)

Dear Jars of Friends-
We will be leaving EARLY Wednesday (9/20/95) morning for the PFR tour. We are
very
excited to be with them again and are looking forward to another great tour!
Unfortunately, we won't be able to answer alot of email because we won't be
here, so please keep this in mind and pray for the tour! Charlie's brother
will keep you posted on how things are going (what a great dude). Thanks and
hope to see you on the tour!

Scott S.
(now known as I B ASAV)


*******************************************************************************************************

*Message from Stephen:

Subj:  FOR ALL POSTING PEOPLE!  :)
Date:  95-09-19 01:21:32 EDT
From:  Snack75

Howdy, all!

It's good to be back home briefly and online.  I finally got into the folder,
after my AOL account has been "snacking" on me.  The computer has frozen up
numerous times.....but again, I am here now, and BOY DOES IT FEEL GOOOOOD!

Seriously, though, I just wanted to post a HUGE thank you to all of our
fellow cyberpals for all of the continued prayer support, encouragement, and
postings in this folder for the group.  A big thanks and a hug go out to
Andy, who has been the creative force behind a wonderful online newsletter.
I can't express our appreciation for all of this.  We can only give praise to
God who has chosen to use this in some manner for His kingdom, and rejoice in
the grace He freely offers.  I know it's getting borderline mushy, but in
closing....you're all very special to us - you're a vital part of our
ministry!  PLEASE, continue to pray as we embark on the fall leg of the PFR
tour.  We anticipate God doing some great things! 

In His grip,

stephen


*******************************************************************************************************

*Chart Updates:

Week of 9/17/95, CCM Update:

AC- Jars Love Song is still climbing... up from 30 to 24!  It may make it
into
the top 20 next week...

On the CCM 25 overall chart...they move from 25 to 23...

CHR...dropping to #7 from #3

Christian Retail album sales...

LW TW
1      1- I'll Lead You Home- Smitty
5      2-No Doubt- Petra
2      3- My Utmost
3      4- Sing Out w/Ron Kenoly
4      5- Concert of A Lifetime- Ray Boltz
6      6- Jars
-       7- Home Run- Geoff Moore


****************************************************************************************************

*Visit our www site:

From: qwerty@grfn.ORG (Steve Carlson)
To: earthpots@aol.com

I have created a first-draft list of what I was thinking could be
on the home page, and I have organized it into a simple tree to show how
the pages would be linked.  It is as follows...

MAIN
 |
 |-- TOUR DATES
 |   |
 |-- NEWS
 |   |
 |-- COMMUNICATION FROM THE BAND
 |   |
 |-- HISTORY OF THE BAND
 |   |
 |-- INFORMATION (FAQ)
 |
 |-- PICTURES (In a gallary type setup)
 |   |
 |-- VIDEO CLIPS (link to CCM page)
 |
 |-- DISCOGRAPHY
 |   |-- LYRICS
 |   |-- SOUND BITES (link to another page)
 |
 |-- EARTHEN VESSELS ARCHIVE
 |
 |-- OFFICIAL JARS OF CLAY HOME PAGE (ESSENTIAL'S)
 |
 |-- HOME PAGE CREDITS

Anywhere you see a line connecting words, there's a link.  A
question mark indicates something I'm unsure of due to copyrights and
such.  I have some neat ideas for graphics on these pages already,
including a nice button bar at the bottom of the first 5 pages listed
here... More on that later. :)
[The page looks *great* and many pictures are already there, so check it out-
please send us all comments and ideas! -Ed.]


**************************************************************************************************

Re: Jars sheet music:

Date: 95-09-19 21:27:40 EDT
From: 94298@tayloru.edu (Kelly Schleyer)
To: Earthpots@aol.com

During the month of January a performance group from Taylor University
is traveling to the Bahamas on a missions trip.  Many of us are
huge fans of Jars of Clay and their music.  We were hoping to
find sheet music and/or music tracks of their songs.  If you know
if these are available please contact me.  If they are not
avaiable, they should be! We love their songs!!!!!!!!!!!

Because of Him,
Kelly Schleyer
[Editor's note: As far as I know, there is no sheet music for any jars
tunes...you will be the first ones to know if I stumble across any, or if I
can get the guys to tell me next time I see them! Please feel free to send
chord progressions, etc. to my address if you've figured them out]


**************************************************************************************************

*Questions and Answers:

Subj: your music
Date: 95-09-20 23:27:16 EDT
From: mnh@umich.edu (Mark Nabeel Hakim)
To: Earthpots@aol.com

I really like your music and your lyrics, and I listen to your tape
often.  It's great that you are using the talents that God gave you for
Him.  "Love Song for a Savior" (I think that's what it's called) is my
favorite.
I was wondering about the meaning behind the song "He."  Why are "fearful
tears running down?"  Who is the "narrator" of the song (from whose point
of view is it sung)?  I'd really appreciate it if you could explain the
lyrics to me, but I understand if whoever reads this mail doesn't reply. 
You guys must get tons of email and might not have time to answer them
all.  Oh, one final question.  Why does someone say "four" before "Boy on
A String"?

[Editor's Answer: Well, I wish we could get a direct response from Jars on
those right now, but they're out there meeting all you guys on tour!  The
"four" is from counting out "1,2,3,4" before the song started, they thought
it'd be funny to leave the four and make ya wonder!  The loudest laugh is
Steve's :)  As for the song "He", I'll quote from the latest CCM from the "On
the Beat" section:
"He, from the group's debut album, is based on the book "Death by Child
Abuse: the Story of Ursula Sunshine", and a portion of the proceeds from the
EP will be donated to The Child Abuse Prevention Center/Exchange Club Family
Center of Middle Tennessee.  Says JoC lead singer/songwriter Dan Haseltine,
"The book really opened my eyes to the shocking reality of child abuse, but
in the song we didn't just want to stop there.  We wanted to show the hope
and healing of Christ."]


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subj: About:A Dedication
Date: 95-09-09 15:58:32 EDT
From: ag12480@bailey2.Unibase.COM (-Dalmeny School)
To: earthpots@aol.com

Hi,
        I was curious about the dedication on the song, "Worlds
        Apart". I was just wondering who Diana Masloski is?

[Editor's Note: Diana died as a result of a car accident that the family was
in...she is the mother of a good friend of Jars', and they performed acoustic
at the funeral. Please pray for her surviving husband and family.]


*******************************************************************************************************

*Foreign Subscribers:

[Here is a note from a Netherlands subscriber, his reply when I asked him
"Where is University of Twente?" -Ed.]

"It's in the Netherlands.. this really tiny country in Europe :) But we do
have Christian Radio overhere, about one hour a day.. but still. And last
week JoC were like album of the week and they're awesome. I haven't been
able to find their album in any record stores yet.. but then again it's
kinda hard to get CCM overhere. Thanks for subscribing me.. can't wait."

[There are also subscribers in Singapore, England, Africa and remote parts of
Canada.]


******************************************************************************************************

Letter to Jars:

Subj: Re: letter to jars
Date: 95-09-17 15:05:17 EDT
From: hurd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (William George Garrett Hurd)
To: Earthpots@aol.com

I am writing to the members of jars, in hopes that maybe they would see
this, or included in the e mail newsletter, or whatever! [you got it! -Ed.]

First of all, I would like to thank them for their music. I have been
waiting for music like this for a long time. I really love "alternative (for
lack of a better word" music, but have been frustrated that there were no
Christian-type bands that sounded the way I wanted them to. Then comes Jars
of Clay. I just bought the CD yesterday, in fact, after hearing it at a
picnic. I walked into the people's house and I heard this awesome music. I
immediately went to the stereo to find the Jars of Clay CD. I listened to
the whole thing and knew that I wanted it. So that afternoon, I swung by the
local Christian bookstore and picked up a copy (not before reserving the
nifty store display!).

My roommate is getting a little sick of me. I have had the disc in and
playing nonstop since I bought it--I can't get enough of it!


***************************************************************************************************

*Billboard Chart-surfing:

In last week's Billboard (9/23/95), Jars appeared on the Billboard Top 200 at
#197, and on the Heatseekers Chart at #17. I should note that these charts
include all types of music, Christian and secular, from all parts of the
world. Heatseekers lists the best-selling titles by new and developing
artists, defined as those who have not yet appeared in the Top 100 of the
Billboard Top 200. Jars is circled, which denotes an album with the greatest
gain in sales for that week. Encouraging! This could open up huge doors to a
ministry with the secular world, coupled with the world-wide secular release
of the album on October 24!


*****************************************************************************************************

*Prayer Requests:

Date: 95-09-17 05:06:01 EDT
From: VZBC51A@prodigy.com (MR JAMES C PITTMAN)
To: Earthpots@aol.com

Thanks again for the newsletters. . . keep 'em coming!  In the
meantime, please keep my father in your prayers.  He is 54 and
recently suffered a stroke.  He is worried about regaining his full
speaking and communicating abilities so that he can continue
preaching the gospel to "those who no one else wants to reach." 
Please pray for Jack Pittman, Terre Haute, Indiana.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: PVentrella
To: Earthpots@aol.com

If you could just print that I have a
friend who is in great need of the saving power and grace of Jesus, I believe
that everyone would pray for him.  After all, the Lord knows the specifics.
What
an awesome God we have the honor in serving! 
Carry on.


*******************************************************************************************************

*Like a Child released!

The single "Like a Child" has very recently been released for radio airplay!
Call up your local station and request it! :)  [your editor's personal
favorite!]


******************************************************************************************************

*Christmas EP mini-Review:
 [from the forthcoming Crossroads vol.2, written by our cyber-subscriber Jeff
Elbel of Sunny Day Roses, thanks Jeff! They didn't give him much room for
comment on the songs- merely 100 words. Perhaps another article will comment
more though! -Ed.]

Drummer Boy - A Christmas EP
Jars of Clay
Essential/Brentwood

Jars of Clay broke the constraints of the underground and made an impact on
the alternative Christian music scene in 1995 with their debut
Essential/Brentwood album.  They quartet is back with its first seasonal
release, Drummer Boy - A Christmas EP.  This EP contains a lush arrangement
of the hymn "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen," as well as two mixes of the
traditional Christmas offering, "Little Drummer Boy."  The band has also
included one new original track, entitled "He," which focuses on the tragedy
of child abuse.  Musically, the songs rely on strong vocal harmonies,
acoustic guitar and fretless bass, as well as a small ensemble of orchestral
instruments.


******************************************************************************************************

*Concert Review #1:

Subj: Re: Jars of Clay
Date: 95-09-26 20:23:16 EDT
From: lcoburn@osf1.gmu.edu (Lisa U Coburn)
To: Earthpots@aol.com

Here is what I thought of the concert.  It rocked!!!  This was the first
Christian concert I have been to and what a way to start.  From hearing
their demo cd and then the first one it was great to hear them live.  I
definitely think that if people haven't heard of them yet they will
soon.  Watch out, you'll be hooked.  It was great hearing them play some
of my favorite songs:  Liquid, Love Song For a Savior, Flood, Like A
Child, He, etc.  I only wish they could have performed longer.  It is
definetely a concert worth seeing.  I got the opportunity to talk with
some of the guys after the concert.  I helped out during the concert and
helped tear everything down so after the crowd thinned out I got the
chance to meet them.  They were so down-to-earth it amazed me.  It seemed
like they could really relate to people there and I felt like I could
relate to them since we are all about the same age.  It is great to be
able to follow a group like this from the beginning.  I keep in them all
in my prayers.  What an awesome way to serve our Lord.


***************************************************************************************************

*Concert Review #2:

Subj: concert review
Date: 95-09-26 18:52:55 EDT
From: RJLindley
To: Earthpots

     I just saw Jars of Clay in concert at Liberty University & they were
just incredible!  They're one of my favorite groups & I've been looking
forward
to this concert for months.  They started the show with "Liquid," which
totally excited all the Jars fans & quickly impressed  those who had come
just for PFR.  They were awesome!  And I was so excited that they sang all
three of my favorite songs--Liquid, Love Song For A Savior & Flood.  I don't
think I ever sat down.  The concert was just great.  It was also really cool
when one of them talked a little bit about the meaning of the song "He."
That made the song a lot more special.  The whole concert was just awesome!
     After the concert, they all came out to talk to people & sign
autographs.  So I went over--of course!--& got to meet them.  They were
really nice.  They said they were working on a Christmas CD as well as
starting work on a whole new album sometime this spring.  YEA!!  And they
told me that they were
doing about 40 dates with Michael W. Smith in the spring so they'd be back
here with him in a few months.  So now I'm just counting the days until then!



****************************************************************************************************

*Concert Review #3:

From: TIGER::BOBBB        "Bart Bobb" 26-SEP-1995 02:56:40.71
To: SMTP%"qwerty@grfn.org"
CC: BOBBB
Subj: Review of Lynchburg concert

Hey guys,
I just got back tonight from seeing y'all open up for PFR and I wish it had
been the other way around - PFR opening up for you (although I love PFR as
well
and their performance was also great, but I digress..).  Honestly, I
absolutely
LOVE your CD and listen to it all the time, but I was unsure about how well
you
would sound live - well, I was in for a big surprise.  You guys sounded even
better live and your "on-stage presence" was also both entertaining and
inspiring - I especially enjoyed your idea to worship by singing along "I
want
to fall in love with you" and I must admit, a few tears trickled down my
cheeks.  It scares me to think how good you guys will be just a year from now
and I am really looking forward to ya'll's next CD (although you'll have a
hard
time topping the first one, but we'll see.....(yes, this is a bit of a
challenge and inspiration, so to speak :) ) and I also plan on catching your
concert in Richmond on Nov. 5.
                                Your fan in Him,
                                                  Barton Bobb


*******************************************************************************************************

*Concert Review #4:

Subj: fr:Sheli
Date: 95-09-25 17:59:38 EDT
From: ntorre1@gl.umbc.edu (torrevillas nellsheli)
To: earthpots@aol.com, clayjars@aol.com

hey andy
just wanted to let you know that J.O.C. performed amazingly this past
weekend. they met all my expectations since having to wait for
them to come around here in the VA/MD area for two summers. They're not
only blessed in being cool, down to earth guys who love the Lord but also 
gifted as great musicians, who are talented in performing live.( i was so
excited cos they were one of the many bands that didn't disappoint me when
it came to performing live)   that kind of stuff is definitely hard to find
these days. if you could let 'em know, from one artist to another, i
greatly appreciate their tribute to God, to His people and the
music industry...gives me great hope that "they" are out there.
may God bless all of your lives and careers, and i pray that God truly
humbles you from all the success i know you will achieve.


*******************************************************************************************************

*Concert Review #5: Rochester homecoming concert 9/16/95

From earthpots- (your editor) :) 

Well, there's not really a need for yet another concert review, but since I
promised a bunch of you I'd review it, here goes! (Please bear with me as I'm
not a journalist!) 

The soundcheck for the show was very short and very late. The guys were
"scheduled" by their moms to have dinner at their parents' houses (Charlie
and Matt are from Rochester) and only had time to try one song with the
ancient, monstrous P.A. system that had been rented, so the beginning of the
show sounded slightly "muddy". The mood was incredibly positive and a bit
overwhelming for me as many people from our ancient past were present for the
show.  The tickets had sold out in days, the church only holding 500 people.
This was the place Charlie and Matt had grown up and was a very special show
for many people.  They were disapointed that so many couldn't get tickets,
but they are hoping to return and give everyone else the opportunity to see
them. The show time was 7:30 and the band came on at about 8:15 or so due to
a quick, late dinner.  Some instrumental intro music came on as they emerged
in front of the huge wooden cross at the front of the sanctuary at
Parkminster Church.  The crowd was deafening and I found myself contributing
to the high decibels! As they began Liquid the crowd was on it's feet and
very enthusiastic. From then on, it went so fast- through Like a Child, Boy
on a string, Sinking, Love song for a savior (with much crowd participation),
Art in Me, Good Coffee Strong Coffee (complete with Matt's imitation of a
cappucino maker), He (with introductory explanation by Dan), and "O God You
Are My God" (R.Mullin's tune, more singalong worship time).
Matt Odmark came out to give a wonderful testimony of his life and the
changes made by Christ. A real tearjerker for those that knew him- he was of
course a little nervous, but let God speak through him. Very encouraging.
After about 15 minutes (?) of this the band returned to finish with Fade to
Grey, Four Seven, then Flood. It was apparent that Steve was having problems
not only with his sound monitors but with the sickness that ailed him that
night. He
just wasn't as "sparky" as usual, but this didn't detract from the show, and
those who didn't know him of course couldn't see the difference. The new
ending to Four Seven is really neat, with the members leaving the stage
one-by-one until Dan was left singing with the crowd "Alleluia" over the
normal tune after the verse and the whoa-whoa's were sung.  Dan left and
Scott did a cool drum fill to end the show. They came back out for the encore
with Flood, which included audience members trying to body surf and everyone
bouncing which somehow usually tends to happen during Flood. The end of Flood
became a deafening roar as the band all played/sang that last high note and
the audience screamed. As the lights came on, people hurried to the back, as
many people there knew the band personally and wished to thank them. A very
late but profitable night for the guys, and a long trip back the next morning
to Nashville. This was also to be the last time they would play the full 80
minute show, without supporting another band in concert until after the PFR
Fall tour. Suffice it to say we were all incredibly encouraged by this
ministry, and that we could all be a part of the ministry through our prayers
and support over the years. Thanks to the guys for coming, but the ultimate
thanks goes to God who brought them and used them to touch the lives of many.


*******************************************************************************************************
END


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOTTOM LIVE script

Fawlty Towers script for "A Touch of Class"