Hubris by George Bascom

 $Unique_ID{AST00208}

$Title{Hubris}

$Author{Bascom, George S., M.D.}

$Subject{poetry}

$Journal{}

$Volume{}

$Date{1982}

$Log{}

                                 LATE ASTERS


                                   Hubris



For a moment I understood

Why He is so chary with success.

It is a heady drink.

Last night I did

A ruptured aneurysm.

Every move was right--

Well, not every move.

I tore a vein--

But every vital move was right.

God dealt kindly with my errors,

And the man emerged from anesthesia

Like spring arriving on the plains.

Of course, I knew who pulled my patient through

(at least I knew who didn't).

Yet driving home I caught myself

Expecting stoplights

To turn green as I approached.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOTTOM LIVE script

Fawlty Towers script for "A Touch of Class"