Childrens Writers Chat Log 4-17-01

 Childrens Writers Chat Log 4-17-01


Guest: Author Kathi Appelt



Tuesdays 

9 p.m. ET (6 p.m. PT), Writers Workshop

Children's Writers chat - writers and illustrators of children's books meet for specific topics and special guest speakers, moderated by HOST WRTR WBABE & HOST WRTR CGaley, with HOST WRTR sUe & HOST WRTR Neely (Greeters).


<HTML><FONT  BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 PTSIZE=10 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Childrens Writers Chat Log 4-17-01<BR>

Guest: Author </FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 PTSIZE=11 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Kathi Appelt</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 PTSIZE=10 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>

</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 PTSIZE=11 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>

CGaley:     Hi everyone and welcome to the Children's Writers Chat<BR>

CGaley:     We'll have full protocol tonight as we have a guest...<BR>

CGaley:     We'll go into protocol NOW!<BR>

CGaley:     As always...<BR>

CGaley:     I'll ask a couple of questions then we'll take questions<BR>

CGaley:     from the group...<BR>

CGaley:     When I mention that we're preparing to take group questions,<BR>

CGaley:     type ? for a question....<BR>

CGaley:     or ! for a comment that has something<BR>

CGaley:     to do with the subject being discussed...<BR>

CGaley:     Marilyn Singer, our Co-Moderator can jump in with questions or<BR>

comments...<BR>

CGaley:     Wave, Marilyn!<BR>

WriterBabe:     Waving!<BR>

CGaley:     Thanks, Marilyn!<BR>

CGaley:     Our guest tonight is Kathi Appelt...<BR>

CGaley:     From the books that she's written <BR>

CGaley:     one can hear a distinctive Southern Voice.<BR>

CGaley:     One that I've come to appreciate living here in the SOuth.<BR>

CGaley:     Say hello, Kathi!<BR>

Brazoskat:     Hello y'all.<BR>

CGaley:     LOL!!! Well done!<BR>

WriterBabe:     LOL<BR>

CGaley:     From the newsletter ya'll received, <BR>

CGaley:     you can see that she's won numerous awards<BR>

CGaley:     and has been recognized nationally on several occasions.<BR>

CGaley:     Kathi, before we start any questions,<BR>

CGaley:     would you like to make any opening comments?<BR>

CGaley:     ga<BR>

Brazoskat:     Only thanks for having me here tonight.<BR>

CGaley:     Well, you're most certainly welcome!<BR>

CGaley:     I forgot to add that when you've finished your question or comment,<BR>

CGaley:     type ga for "go ahead," for an ending to your thought.<BR>

CGaley:     Kathi, you've written in so many age groups for children<BR>

CGaley:     from early reader picture book to YA.  <BR>

CGaley:     I guess my question is <BR>

CGaley:     how does one age group differ from another?<BR>

CGaley:     ga<BR>

CGaley:     In writing for them, I mean... ga<BR>

Brazoskat:     Okay, let me get my thoughts together.<BR>

Brazoskat:     It's true that I do write for a broad spectrum of ages<BR>

Brazoskat:     primarily toddlers (the very young) and then teenagers<BR>

Brazoskat:     Sometimes when I look at my books, all spread out, i feel<BR>

Brazoskat:     like I have multiple personalities.<BR>

Brazoskat:     But the truth is, toddlers and teenagers are actually fairly<BR>

similar critters.<BR>

Brazoskat:     They're ego-centric, they're tempestuous, they're on the brink of<BR>

independence . . .<BR>

Brazoskat:     both age groups are incredibly passionate.  In fact, I'd boldly<BR>

say that, at no other times <BR>

Brazoskat:     in our lives are we quite as passionate as we are when we're 4<BR>

and 14.  I enjoy tapping into<BR>

Brazoskat:     those emotions and I love writing for those ages.  <BR>

Brazoskat:     I will say that I have not written broadly for the middle<BR>

ages--6-9 year olds.  I've tried, <BR>

Brazoskat:     but haven't met with much success there.  However, I like to<BR>

think that kids in those ages s<BR>

Brazoskat:     still enjoy a picture book.  ga<BR>

CGaley:     That's a wonderful comment about toddlers and teenagers!<BR>

CGaley:     I've never thought of it that way...<BR>

CGaley:     Would you say that there differences in independance<BR>

CGaley:     is only limited by their mode of transportation?<BR>

CGaley:     I mean, the teenagers will have the whole world with <BR>

CGaley:     a car, while the toddler explores that next room...  <BR>

CGaley:     Any comments on those two ages' scope of the world<BR>

CGaley:     at that age?<BR>

CGaley:     ga<BR>

Brazoskat:     Well, of course the scope is different, but the thing that is the<BR>

most different<BR>

Brazoskat:     is the scope of the consequences.  The urge for independence<BR>

seems to me to<BR>

Brazoskat:     be basically the same.  A yearning is a yearning.  It's power is<BR>

only tempered by our <BR>

Brazoskat:     needs.<BR>

Brazoskat:     And transportation has a lot to do with it.<BR>

Brazoskat:     ga<BR>

CGaley:     Beautifully put!  That was a hard question, but you gave <BR>

CGaley:     a insiteful (sp) answer!  Now an easier one!<BR>

CGaley:     How can a new writer approach that hard task of<BR>

CGaley:     trying to write daily...<BR>

CGaley:     What is your secret to that? ga<BR>

Brazoskat:     I always encourage my students to make a five minute commitment.<BR>

<BR>

Brazoskat:     I know that sounds simplistic, but long ago, when I first started<BR>

out, I was complaining to <BR>

Brazoskat:     a friend of mine that I could find time to do ANYTHING except<BR>

what mattered most to me . . .<BR>

Brazoskat:     writing.  So she asked me to make a daily commitment.  At first<BR>

my response was that, okay, <BR>

Brazoskat:     I could commit thirty minutes.<BR>

Brazoskat:     She laughed and said that was way too long.  I was surprised at<BR>

her response.  <BR>

Brazoskat:     So I said, okay, I can commit to fifteen minutes.  Again, she<BR>

told me that was way too long,<BR>

Brazoskat:     that I'd never make fifteen minutes a day.  So, in frustrat<BR>

Brazoskat:     ion, I said I would commit to five minutes.  She said, fine<BR>

Brazoskat:     I've never ever not written five minutes a day.   Some days I<BR>

count my grocery list as my<BR>

Brazoskat:     five minutes, but the truth is, anyone can find five minutes<BR>

Brazoskat:     and the bigger truth is, it's the sitting down that's hard to do.<BR>

Once I've put my fanny in<BR>

Brazoskat:     the chair, I find I can sit there for a purty long time<BR>

Brazoskat:     It's the starting that's hard, not the time.<BR>

Brazoskat:     ga<BR>

CGaley:     What a great way to get started!<BR>

Brazoskat:     Thanks<BR>

CGaley:     OK, everyone... the cue's open...<BR>

CGaley:     I'll ask one more short question... <BR>

CGaley:     then we'll start fielding questions from the group!<BR>

CGaley:     Kathi, what is your favorite book to date and why?<BR>

CGaley:     ga<BR>

Brazoskat:     Well, my favorite book changes from time to time, but currently<BR>

is my ya short story collect<BR>

Brazoskat:     ion, KISSING TENNESSEE.  Why?  I think because it was such a<BR>

personal writing.  More of my <BR>

CGaley:     (cue's open folks)<BR>

Brazoskat:     heart is in that book than my others so far. ga<BR>

CGaley:     Kathi, I'll have to admit... I really enjoye KISSING TENNESSEE.<BR>

There was such <BR>

CGaley:     an innocense to it... teetering on adulthood... well done!<BR>

CGaley:     Ok, everyone... let's have those questions!<BR>

Brazoskat:     Thanks, I worked harder on it than on anything else I've ever<BR>

worked on<BR>

Brazoskat:     with possibly the exception of raising my boys--still in process<BR>

by the way.<BR>

Catherine4148:     ?<BR>

Brazoskat:     ga<BR>

Ekbruno:     ?<BR>

CGaley:     OK, Ekbruno... you question...<BR>

Ekbruno:     How many hours a day do you write now? Do you begin early? ga<BR>

CGaley:     ...your question... (sorry)<BR>

Rebeccakai:     !?<BR>

CGaley:     (Catherine.. sorry, you're next.. hang on..)<BR>

Brazoskat:     Ekbruno--I don't really keep tabs on the time I write.  I do have<BR>

fallow periods where I don<BR>

Brazoskat:     't write very much at all, then other days when I write a lot.<BR>

Brazoskat:     I know that I'm more productive in warm seasons.  I have no idea<BR>

why.  My husband thinks it'<BR>

Brazoskat:     s the bear in me.  In cold seasons I sleep a lot:) ga<BR>

Ekbruno:     ll thanks<BR>

Ekbruno:     lol<BR>

CGaley:     Catherine... thanks for waiting... what's your question?<BR>

Catherine4148:     I write for adults but would like to write for children's.<BR>

It's hard for me. Can u give me <BR>

Catherine4148:     any suggestions?<BR>

CGaley:     ga, Catherine?<BR>

Brazoskat:     Number one would be to read as many books for children as  you<BR>

can get <BR>

Brazoskat:     your hands on.  When I teach writing for children, I'm <BR>

Brazoskat:     often surprised by how "illiterate" my students are in the area<BR>

of children's literature. <BR>

Brazoskat:     So, that's my first suggestion.  The second would be find some<BR>

kids, if you don't have<BR>

Brazoskat:     your own, to be around.  When I say read children's books, I'm<BR>

not talking about a few here <BR>

Brazoskat:     and there, I'm talking about a hundred a week or more.<BR>

Brazoskat:     Also, if you're successful writing for adults, why do you WANT to<BR>

write for kids? ga<BR>

CGaley:     Wow, Kathi... a great suggestion!<BR>

CGaley:     Catherine, care to comment?<BR>

Catherine4148:     I just would liket to write something different that's all.<BR>

Brazoskat:     Which is a good response.  <BR>

CGaley:     OK, Rebecca Kai Dottlich... you're next with a comment...<BR>

Rebeccakai:     Your writing is so poetic.  You are a natural with language.   <BR>

Brazoskat:     I often feel the yearning to write for different age groups.<BR>

Brazoskat:     Ahhh . . . look who's talking!<BR>

Rebeccakai:     ...I bet we'd also love to hear what you are working on now...or<BR>

next.....or both<BR>

Rebeccakai:     ga<BR>

Brazoskat:     I usually have several "irons in the fire," plus I keep an "idea<BR>

file" on my computer, so th<BR>

CGaley:     Kathi, what is next for you?<BR>

Brazoskat:     at when I'm plum empty, I can scan it for a jump start.<BR>

CGaley:     (Let's have those questions, folks...)<BR>

Brazoskat:     I have a couple of picture books that I'm just fleshing out, and<BR>

a new collection of ya poet<BR>

Brazoskat:     try that I'm in the middle of.  I have a new "series" coming out<BR>

soon and have some ideas fo<BR>

Brazoskat:     r more of those.  These books are for the very young and they're<BR>

based on two characters<BR>

Brazoskat:     named Bubba and Beau.  Bubba is a "redneck baby," and Beau is a<BR>

"redbone hound-puppy."<BR>

Brazoskat:     I also have a picture book biography of Lady Bird Johnson that I<BR>

just sold to HarperCollins,<BR>

Brazoskat:     which will be my first foray into that particular genre.  I'm<BR>

excited about it.<BR>

WriterRoss:     ?<BR>

BOEDEN:     ~¤~¤~¤~¤~¤~¤~15 MINUTE WARNING~¤~¤~¤~¤~¤~¤~<BR>

CGaley:     ga, Kathi?<BR>

Brazoskat:     ga<BR>

CGaley:     That's great... it sounds like you're real busy!<BR>

CGaley:     Ok, Marilyn has a question for you... then Writer Ross.<BR>

CGaley:     ga Marilyn!<BR>

CGaley:     ga<BR>

Brazoskat:     okay<BR>

WriterBabe:     Other than dialect, how would you define "Southern" writing,<BR>

Kathi--or would you?<BR>

WriterBabe:     GA<BR>

CGaley:     (great question!)<BR>

DJS2306:     ahhh.,.,. Christian Writers?<BR>

WriterBabe:     (Thanks, Chuck)<BR>

Brazoskat:     I'm fairly certain that dialect plays a large role, but I also<BR>

believe that "place" is almos<BR>

CGaley:     (DJS... we're in protocol)<BR>

BOEDEN:     djs, rEAD yOUR IM'S<BR>

Brazoskat:     t like a character in southern writing.  And by place, I don't<BR>

mean<BR>

Brazoskat:     just the landscape, I mean also the "aura" of it--here in the<BR>

south, we have the whole histo<BR>

Brazoskat:     ry of slavery, manners, colonialism, football, all these things<BR>

DJS2306:     !<BR>

Catherine4148:     ?<BR>

Catherine4148:     sorry<BR>

Brazoskat:     that signify a background character that's not necessariy human,<BR>

but a character nonetheless<BR>

Brazoskat:     Does that make sense? ga<BR>

WriterBabe:     Absolutely, Kathi--and a great answer.<BR>

Brazoskat:     thanks! ga<BR>

WriterRoss:     Have you had to deal with rejection in recent years? more-<BR>

CGaley:     I agree ... a great answer, Kathi... I've never heard it put so<BR>

well.<BR>

WriterBabe:     The landscape affects the ethos, too.<BR>

WriterBabe:     And vice versa.<BR>

Brazoskat:     In recent years?  I deal with it all the time. ga<BR>

WriterRoss:     How do you work through it and past it? <BR>

CGaley:     (DJS... I'll call for your comment in a moment... after this<BR>

question... thanks)<BR>

WriterRoss:     ( I know. No one wants to talk about depressing topics...) ;><BR>

BOEDEN:     ~¤~¤~¤~¤~10 MINUTE WARNING~¤~¤~¤~¤~<BR>

WriterRoss:     Thanks-- GA --  Pamela {}<BR>

Brazoskat:     Marilyn, you're right about that.  The ethos and pathos play<BR>

particularly strong roles in so<BR>

Brazoskat:     southern literature.  I know they do in other areas as well, but<BR>

the south is distinct.<BR>

Brazoskat:     On rejection, I try not to dwell on it, but I don't mind having a<BR>

glass of wine to help wash<BR>

Brazoskat:     it down.  And I don't always see it as depressing.<BR>

Brazoskat:     I try to see it as someone else's (some other editor's)<BR>

opportunity.<BR>

Brazoskat:     I also use it as an opportunity myself, to see if there's<BR>

something I need to change.<BR>

Brazoskat:     ga<BR>

Catherine4148:     ?<BR>

CGaley:     DJS... a comment?<BR>

WriterRoss:     Excellent, timely advice. Thank you- {}<BR>

Brazoskat:     youbetcha<BR>

CGaley:     DJS... did you have a comment?<BR>

CGaley:     OK, then... Catherine... you're next ga<BR>

Catherine4148:     Do u do ur own illustrations? If not how do u find an<BR>

illustrator & make sure they have what<BR>

DJS2306:     yes .. is this the Christian writer's workshop?<BR>

Catherine4148:     ur looking for.<BR>

CGaley:     (DJS... no it's the Children's Writers Chat... sorry)<BR>

Brazoskat:     No, i do not do my own illustrations.  My publisher is<BR>

responsible for finding the illustrat<BR>

DJS2306:     bye<BR>

Brazoskat:     ors.  Thanks goodness, too, because I don't know anything about<BR>

art.<BR>

Brazoskat:     ga<BR>

Catherine4148:     ?<BR>

CGaley:     Catherine... another question?<BR>

CGaley:     ga<BR>

Catherine4148:     ...but how do u know they're drawing what u want? Is there<BR>

communication?<BR>

Brazoskat:     There is some small amount of communication between myself and my<BR>

editor.  She serves as <BR>

Brazoskat:     liasion between me and the illustrator.  However, I really want<BR>

the text to become<BR>

Brazoskat:     the illustrator's.  In other words, it's important to me that the<BR>

illustrator "own" the book<BR>

Brazoskat:     By the time the ms. is handed over to an artist, my part is<BR>

basically done.  I'm only there <BR>

Brazoskat:     then as a kind of silent advisor, and then only when there<BR>

Brazoskat:     is a question on the part of the illustrator that my editor can't<BR>

answer.<BR>

BOEDEN:     ~¤~¤~¤~¤~5 MINUTE WARNING~¤~¤~¤~¤~<BR>

Brazoskat:     You have to trust that the illustrator knows what he or she is<BR>

doing.  ga<BR>

Catherine4148:     Oh!...i never thought about it that way. The "illustrator's<BR>

own" Thanks.<BR>

CGaley:     (Cue's empty, folks)<BR>

CGaley:     ga, Catherine?<BR>

Rebeccakai:     !<BR>

CGaley:     Becky!!! A comment?<BR>

Melduvall:     ?<BR>

Rebeccakai:     have you ever, ever, ever, ever been slightly disappointed<BR>

though? I mean w/o mentioning<BR>

Rebeccakai:     any titles, of course<BR>

Brazoskat:     Yes, I have.  No doubt about it.  But by the time I figure out<BR>

that I'm disappointed, it's <BR>

Brazoskat:     basically too late to do anything about it.  ga<BR>

CGaley:     (Melduvall, I'll call on you for your question in a moment...)<BR>

CGaley:     OK... Melduvall, a question?<BR>

Melduvall:     What prompted biography as picture book?GA<BR>

Melduvall:     Was it hard to write?GA<BR>

Brazoskat:     Well, it's not a new genre.  There are lots of pb bios out there.<BR>

As a Texan, I felt a<BR>

Brazoskat:     great admiration for Lady Bird and the role she's played as our<BR>

nation's first real<BR>

BOEDEN:     Sorry folks, it is the top of the hour.  Thank you for coming. <BR>

CGaley:     Thanks, Kathi!<BR>

CGaley:     Any closing comments?<BR>

Brazoskat:     "political" conservationist.  I also felt that she was getting<BR>

"lost" in history and deserve<BR>

Brazoskat:     d some mention, especially among the  younger sset.<BR>

Brazoskat:     Thanks so much for having me and good luck in your writing<BR>

endeavors. <BR>

RoxyanneY:     Thank you, Kathi, Chuck, Sue, and everyone else! Great chat.<BR>

WriterBabe:     What a great chat!   Kathi, you are terrific!<BR>

Pete n Gun:     Thanks Kathi, do guest again.<BR>

Brazoskat:     I loved it.<BR>

Ekbruno:     interesting chat ... thanks Kathi<BR>

MudderGG:     Thank you Kathi...<BR>

CGaley:     Everyone!  Let's thank Kathi with our famous applause segment!<BR>

BOEDEN:     Thank you Kathi!  Terrific information.  Thanks Chuckles, EXLNT Job!<BR>

BOEDEN:     (Please send me a log.)<BR>

Rebeccakai:     great writer.  great person.  she wears cute pj's too<BR>

WriterBabe:     Chuck, you're an excellent host!<BR>

CGaley:     YEA, KATHI!   (CLAP< CLAP, CLAP!)<BR>

BOEDEN:     LOL<BR>

Ekbruno:     Sue ... it's on the way<BR>

Brazoskat:     Now don't give away all my secrets Rebecca.<BR>

BOEDEN:     applause! applause!<BR>

WriterBabe:     With ducks on them?<BR>

Rebeccakai:     I'll save one or two :)  APPLAUSE for APPELT<BR>

CGaley:     Flannel PJ's I might add!<BR>

BOEDEN:     Nighty night folks. Happy writing!!<BR>

Brazoskat:     I'm taking a deep bow, and no, it's cats.</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#0000a0" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 PTSIZE=11 FAMILY="SCRIPT" FACE="Comic Sans MS" LANG="0"><BR>

((end))</FONT></HTML>


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOTTOM LIVE script

Fawlty Towers script for "A Touch of Class"