PLAYWRIGHTS CORNER CHAT 4/1/02

Oh, Sweetie --

We just loved your little play reading.  LOVED IT. It was just wonderful. I don't know how these things come out of you. Pop!  There they are! Just out there.

Your uncle Teddy was a bit confused about the boy-boy kiss thing in the lobby, but what does he know?  It was part of the play, right? We thought the actors' outfits were lovely, but why did they use music stands? Couldn't they learn their lines? Also, talk to the people who clean the restroom.  It smells rusty. And why are these theaters always in such a rough part of town? I was totally afraid to leave the Benz in that garage.  Oh, and I'm so sorry about what Uncle Teddy said to your director. Who knew?  We both thought he was on crack.



But the story about the girl and her talky aunt was so sad. Maybe next time you can write something happier. I like the happy stories. Like the ones you see on T.V.  All for now.



Love and kisses,

Aunt Flo.



FEEDBACK. 

Who needs it?

What to do with it.





PLAYWRIGHTS CORNER CHAT



MONDAY, APRIL 1



HOSTED BY



HOST WRTER SOFIE



&



HOST WRTR LUD



10:00 p.m. Eastern time

9:00 p.m. Central time

8:00 p.m. Mountain time

7:00 p.m. Pacific time





Keyword:  Writers Club

Click on:  Writers chat

Click on:  Writers grill



or Keyword:  WCCHAT - click on "GRILL"

****disinfected using Virex 6.0****



HOST WRTR SOFIE: feedback raises my hackles
HOST WRTR Lud: I've found the best feedback is the audience's reaction.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: me too!
HOST WRTR Lud: And by that, I mean from night to night. 
DashBodkin: even good useful feedback corsses my wires -- I have to think about the play in a new way
HOST WRTR Lud: But of course, their feedback can relate to the production rather than the play itself.
DashBodkin: in some ways the audience is useful and in some ways not
HOST WRTR Lud: But if a line falls flat night after night, it probably needs to be replaced.
DashBodkin: yes, Lud
DashBodkin: unless your actor's a dud, or they;ve changed the line before the funny one
HOST WRTR Lud: The worse feedback you must listen to is that of your producer's investors and friends.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: Certainly you need to take anything someone says to you with a grain of salt
DashBodkin: or added some distracting bit of action
HOST WRTR SOFIE: oh yeah!
HOST WRTR Lud: That really drives me crazy.
DashBodkin: I've never had to listen to investors, fortunately
HOST WRTR Lud: The contradictions are the most maddening.  The show should be funnier.  The shows should be more serious.
DashBodkin: yes, Lud
HOST WRTR Lud: The shows needs more songs.  You need to cut numbers.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: why do they all have to be dressed in black?
DashBodkin: or feedback that makes a point that is in direct contradiction with what's in the script
HOST WRTR Lud: I don't like the leading lady.  She reminds me of a girl I went to school with.
DashBodkin: i.e., character A is a bastard thoughout the first act, then someone says, character A is mean in the second act, but I liked him in the first
OnlineHost: Mercati writer has entered the room.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: hi merc
DashBodkin: hi merc
Mercati writer: hi, all
HOST WRTR SOFIE: nice to see you tonight
DashBodkin: you can see us?  I'll have to put pants on
HOST WRTR SOFIE: we see all
HOST WRTR SOFIE: :o)
HOST WRTR Lud: Once, when my show was playing San Diego, the producers
didn't want to pay my diems.  So I had to listen to feedback filtered through
them.
Mercati writer: I truly look forward to this chat--I have few opportunities
to visit with playwrights
HOST WRTR Lud: They told me there was a discussion and a local critic
HOST WRTR SOFIE: me too... and it's safer than talking to 'em at a theater
HOST WRTR Lud: attacked my lyrics for being anachronistic.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: what happened?
HOST WRTR SOFIE: ouch, Lud
DashBodkin: i think most critics are useless
HOST WRTR SOFIE: unless they're Linda
HOST WRTR Lud: The show takes place in 30s Hollywood and this pompous ass
tells attacks the lyric
DashBodkin: yes, not Linda
HOST WRTR SOFIE: but yeah -- we have one here who uses 3/4 of the review
telling the story
HOST WRTR Lud: "Let's go where a girl with good diction/Can perform science
fiction."
HOST WRTR Lud: He claimed there was no science fiction in the 30s.
DashBodkin: what an idiot
HOST WRTR SOFIE: wrong!
HOST WRTR Lud: And these producers agreed that l was at fault.
DashBodkin: someone should have told H.G.Wells
HOST WRTR Lud: Jules Verne.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: Lud - what did you do?
HOST WRTR Lud: Murneau's A TRIP TO THE MOON.
HOST WRTR Lud: I had to listen to these producers complaining to me.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: no recourse?
HOST WRTR Lud: I mean Meliere's A TRIP TO THE MOON.
HOST WRTR Lud: Or whomever.
DashBodkin: the thing i dislike about critics is they are rarely
constructive
DashBodkin: they have their own likes and dislikes that they inflict on
everyone
OnlineHost: DAther has entered the room.
DashBodkin: and they relish tearing things down
HOST WRTR Lud: The out of town critics are actually the most disgusting
Mercati writer: Can't believe this--have to go, just got a call I need to
take.
OnlineHost: Mercati writer has left the room.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: come back soon
DashBodkin: but are not helpful in pointing out how something might be
improved
HOST WRTR SOFIE: hey there DA
HOST WRTR Lud: Proving how their little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
DAther: Hi Sofie
HOST WRTR SOFIE: it sure is...
HOST WRTR SOFIE: That's why I always like to sit next to the exit
DAther: Sofie, to escape feedback?
HOST WRTR Lud: George Méliès,
HOST WRTR Lud: that's who I mean.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: just in case, DA -- LOL
DAther: I like to sit on an aisle so I can dash out and hide in the ladies
room if need be.
HOST WRTR Lud: I don't take it seriously.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: that's good strategy
HOST WRTR Lud: What I've said I love is working on certain lines and songs.
DashBodkin: I got a shiver of evil glee not too long ago when our resident
critic/moron needed to get to a seat and I made him step over me -- I refused
to move
HOST WRTR SOFIE: although I've heard a few harsh truths in the Ladies room
HOST WRTR Lud: I love plugging into a new gag each night till I get just the
right reaction.
HOST WRTR Lud: Or building a song to the right finish.
DAther: Dash, sometimes it's the little things.
HOST WRTR Lud: How to button up that song to the greatest effect.
DAther: The Ladies is a grand place for harsh truths.
HOST WRTR Lud: I've been having a great time adding tracks to my CD until
the number really sells.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: It sure is... many a major critique of my work has taken
place there
DAther: Sofie, well at least there's water to splash yourself until you
recover consciousness.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: LOL  -- good point
HOST WRTR Lud: I told you about the a--ho-- director who rewrote my scenes
and twisted the producers' arms to make me
HOST WRTR Lud: tryout his version.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: I do think audience reaction is my best teacher, though
DAther: Lud, then what happened?
HOST WRTR Lud: Then he convinced them it was better.  And it was his scenes
that the critics attacked in the papers.
DashBodkin: ugh
HOST WRTR Lud: Humiliating.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: whoa
DAther: Well, Lud, not humiliating for you.
HOST WRTR Lud: Then the producers turned to me and said "Why didn't you
stand up to him."
HOST WRTR Lud: Yes, humiliating for me, because I was the one the critics
blamed.
DAther: Lud, time to find new producers.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: really!
HOST WRTR Lud: These are producers who've given a lot of money to musical
theatre.
HOST WRTR Lud: And they've been a lot nicer to me lately (donated to my
event).
HOST WRTR SOFIE: that's a plus
HOST WRTR Lud: So I'm no longer complaining.
HOST WRTR Lud: But it was agonizing at the time.
DAther: Well, Lud, that is an improvement.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: I bet it was
HOST WRTR SOFIE: How does one get past such an experience
DashBodkin: i dislike feedback from authority figures that is a thinly
disguised madate for change
DashBodkin: "mandate
HOST WRTR Lud: Actually, when we showcased CHARLOTTE SWEET, the audience
feedback was vital.
HOST WRTR Lud: But my director turned to people he trusted.
HOST WRTR Lud: And every day he came up with ideas that genuinely improved
the show.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: sounds like a good person to work with
DashBodkin: i like suggestions that simplify things
DAther: When you say audience feedback, you mean, they laughed, they cried,
etc.?
HOST WRTR Lud: Little things like people taking offense at a snide remark
about a "60-year old"
DashBodkin: that can get out of hand, though, Lud
HOST WRTR Lud: Which I changed to an 80-year old (Less audience members to
complain).
HOST WRTR SOFIE: LOL
HOST WRTR Lud: Booing definitely has an impact on me.
DashBodkin: you'll get people taking offense on behalf of 80 year olds
DAther: I just got back from a gala where a lot of the people were 90 year
olds.
HOST WRTR Lud: What's great about audiences is not just that they tell you
what they DON'T like, but what they do.
DashBodkin: if people are unsure whether or not something is offensive,
they'll complain that something was offensive
DAther: I had a scary idea that I might be sitting at a gala in fiftyyears.
HOST WRTR Lud: Then you know which characters to built up.
HOST WRTR Lud: What kind of jokes are landing for this show.
DashBodkin: yes, Lud
DashBodkin: it's good to know who the audience is rooting for
HOST WRTR SOFIE: and I love those little moments from an audience... when
there's that pause..
HOST WRTR SOFIE: that gasp
HOST WRTR SOFIE: It feels so good
HOST WRTR Lud: Whom the audience is interested in and who needs to be
rethought.
DashBodkin: what was clear to them and what was unclear
HOST WRTR Lud: What's offensive in Peoria may get huge "hip" laughs in NY.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: or visa versa
DashBodkin: sometimes, though, they'll praise one moment of a show, and then
dismantle the bits you constructed to lead up to that moment
HOST WRTR SOFIE: yes, doesn't that make you nuts?
HOST WRTR Lud: Yes, that's truly annoying.
HOST WRTR Lud: And if someone did that, I'd totally disregard any advice
from them in the future.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: you end up thanking them for sharing
HOST WRTR Lud: If they said some of the lead-in needs fine-tuning, I'd
accept that.
HOST WRTR Lud: But when they want to you fix what ain't broke, that's
unnerving.
DAther: "So glad you could come, your input is always welcome"
HOST WRTR SOFIE: or if they knew what was going on to get to that point
HOST WRTR Lud: Well, everybody wants to be the expert.
DashBodkin: usually they can't be specific about which details derailed the
train of thought, so they pick apart other things
HOST WRTR Lud: Even more annoying is when you're collaborating when people
who don't know what they're talking about.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: oh yeah!
HOST WRTR Lud: A composer who tells you his song isn't landing because the
orchestration is all wrong.
DAther: Well, night you all, I think I'm going to have to go to bed.
DAther: See you next week.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: sweet dreams DA
HOST WRTR SOFIE: next week!
DashBodkin: bye
OnlineHost: DAther has left the room.
HOST WRTR Lud: Night.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: any shameless plugs?
HOST WRTR Lud: Any shameless plugs?
HOST WRTR SOFIE: mind pirates, we, Lud
HOST WRTR Lud: Well, there are 3 of us.
DashBodkin: I start mentoring kids playwrighting next week or the week after
HOST WRTR Lud: How many kids?
DashBodkin: 4
DashBodkin: 2 groups of 2
HOST WRTR Lud: How old?
HOST WRTR SOFIE: Wow -- nice group -- how old?
HOST WRTR Lud: The echo continues.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: Lud and I are of one mind
DashBodkin: it's for an evening of 10 minute scenes the kids are supposed to
build
HOST WRTR SOFIE: LOL
DashBodkin: teens, i think
HOST WRTR Lud: I feel kind of guilty that I cut out the kids from Amas on my
CD.
HOST WRTR Lud: But they were off-key and won't
HOST WRTR SOFIE: I'd hear about that -- how it works out
HOST WRTR Lud: increase sales like Michael Feinstein.
DashBodkin: the play itself goes up in October
HOST WRTR SOFIE: you have to make tough choices
HOST WRTR Lud: I love working with kids myself.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: in a high school?
HOST WRTR Lud: At various times.  Using apprentices on my shows.
HOST WRTR Lud: Lecturing to Amas students, etc.
HOST WRTR Lud: Every time a kid attended one of my shows and smiled.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: that's wonderful
HOST WRTR Lud: Watching my son reacting to my songs is one of my great
pleasures.
HOST WRTR Lud: Especially when he likes it.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: it's a special gift, for sure
HOST WRTR Lud: Sometimes, since the benefit, I hear him humming something
and it turns out to be a song of mine.
HOST WRTR Lud: I love when that happens.
DashBodkin: that's ery nice
HOST WRTR SOFIE: That's beautiful, Lud
DashBodkin: very
HOST WRTR SOFIE: nice chat tonight --
HOST WRTR SOFIE: I enjoyed our little group
DashBodkin: I think i'm gonna turn in early though
DashBodkin: I have a bunch of stuff to do tomorrow
HOST WRTR SOFIE: me too -- gotta do some office work
HOST WRTR Lud: There are no groups too small.  Only small groups.
HOST WRTR SOFIE: thanks for coming tonight
HOST WRTR SOFIE: true, Lud
HOST WRTR SOFIE: Good night all
DashBodkin: adios all

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOTTOM LIVE script

Fawlty Towers script for "A Touch of Class"